Trident Continues to Build a Complete Ecosystem Around the Connected TV By Partnering with the Leading Online Service ProvidersThursday, January 6th, 2011
SUNNYVALE, Calif. — Trident Microsystems, Inc. (Nasdaq: TRID), a leading provider of set-top box and TV semiconductor solutions, announced today that the VUDU Movie Service, the premier HD on-demand movie service available today, along with VUDU Apps, a platform for the delivery of Internet entertainment services on HDTVs, has been integrated onto Trident’s DTV platform. This will enable Trident customers to offer mainstream consumers direct streaming access to VUDU’s over 4,000 HD and HDX movie library and surround sound cinematic experience.
“Embedding VUDU’s cutting edge application platform in our connected TV SoCs will enable our customers to quickly bring to market advanced Internet-connected HDTVs,” said Dirk Wieberneit, senior vice president and general manager of the TV Business unit for Trident Microsystems. “This will bring a completely new level of interactivity to the home television and will deliver enormous amounts of Internet content and exciting applications directly onto the TV.”
Following is a current list of the leading services offered by VUDU, among the applications that will now be offered on the Trident platform.
- VUDU Movies, featuring the world’s largest catalog of HD movies, with more than 4,000 titles, and HDX, the only streaming 1080p video with high resolution 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus surround sound available directly on Internet-connected devices.
- VUDU Ticker, an Internet powered real-time ticker that enables the display of user specific Internet content updates over live TV.
- Popular Internet services, such as Pandora, Dailymotion, Picasa and Flickr.
- Leading news providers, such as The New York Times and The Associated Press.
- Popular Video podcasts such as Revision3 and DiggNation.
“Our relationship with Trident allows us to bring the extraordinary value of VUDU to more OEMs and ODMs,” said Edward Lichty, VUDU General Manager. “Utilizing VUDU’s unique cloud architecture, TRIDENT’s OEM and ODM customers will be able to deliver an expanding suite of applications and services without having to modify the software in the field. Our goal is to continue bringing the best quality VUDU service directly to your living room, all the way down to the chip.”