Ofcom releases 3Q 2010 UK Digital Television Update

Tuesday, January 18th, 2011
Ofcom logo

Digital television take-up on main television sets reached 92.7% in the second quarter of 2010, up by 2.9 percentage points year-on-year

Consumer survey results for the third quarter of 2010 show that take-up of digital television in UK households stood at 92.6%, up by 3.1 percentage points year on year. This figure was flat quarter on quarter.

Consumers are continuing to convert additional sets in the home. Almost three-quarters (74.0%) of all secondary TV sets had been converted to digital by the end of June 2010. This was up by 6.7 percentage points in a year and also up by 3.3pp quarter on quarter

Taking these figures together, 82.4% of all TV sets had converted to digital television by the end of Q3 2010. This was up 3.9pp year on year and also up by 2.3pp quarter on quarter. The remaining 17.6% of sets continue to receive analogue terrestrial broadcasts.

Digital terrestrial television (DTT) equipment quarterly sales

DTT quarterly sales (actuals)              Q3 2009    Q4 2009    Q1 2010    Q2 2010    Q3 2010
                                         ---------  ---------  ---------  ---------  ---------
Freeview set-top boxes                     696,360  1,247,000    855,000    724,000    608,000
Integrated Digital Televisions (IDTVs)   2,154,600  3,491,000  2,540,000  2,341,000  1,898,000
Total sales                              2,850,960  4,738,000  3,395,000  3,065,000  2,506,641
DTT DVR sales*                             203,805    329,000    207,000    153,000    153,000

Source: Sales figures from GfK, as adjusted by Freeview. The 5% upwards adjustment represents Freeview’s estimate of the number of DTT set-top boxes and IDTVs sold in Northern Ireland and offshore islands.
* DVR sales include devices that combine DVR and DVD recording functionality. DVRssales listed above are also included in the total sales.

More: Q3 2010 DTV Update; Q3 2010 DTV Charts