onwave launches satellite triple-play to bring digital services to every UK householdWednesday, June 1st, 2011
- onwave brings broadband, TV and phone to hundreds of thousands of homes for the first time
- onwave provides all the major digital home services via a single satellite connection
- Core target is more than one million UK DSL customers who receive sub 1Mb broadband speeds
- The service will rebalance the rural/urban digital divide
- 6Mb to 10Mb broadband, home phone and 150 digital TV channels, all for an affordable price and no need for land line
LONDON — onwave, today announced the launch of its satellite based triple play packages in the UK. The company is launching uniformly high quality packages of digital TV, home phone and up to 10Mb broadband for every UK household, regardless of location.
onwave has partnered with Eutelsat, Europe’s leading satellite operator, to bring its new service to users in the UK and Ireland simultaneously. The partnership gives onwave the service delivery network via Eutelsat’s next-generation Tooway satellite services.
The onwave broadband offering addresses the demand from the more than one million UK DSL customers who receive less than 1Mb broadband speeds and are looking for faster broadband and the cost savings of triple-play bundled services. This data is based on research by Point Topic.
By taking advantage of the bundled offering and switching their home phones to onwave, UK customers can save up to £100 per year on line rental and gain the benefit of cheap calls.1 Consumers can also eliminate their expensive TV subscriptions and access 150 digital TV channels with no monthly subscription charge.
With onwave, customers will receive a number of choices depending on their usage. A standard 6Mb broadband, TV and home phone package costs from £19.99 and a 6Mb broadband-only service starts at £14.99, rising to £34.99 for a 10Mb, as part of an introductory offer for a 3 month period.
The painful days of waiting for a slow connection are over for thousands, who can now get high speed broadband for a very affordable price. People looking to upload movies to YouTube, send large emails, download music, and surf the web faster will benefit from guaranteed speeds at all times of the day.
Faster internet is also important in spreading the benefits of the smart economy nationwide. Rural students, businesses and home workers will no longer be disadvantaged by where they live, in terms of their ability to have high-quality, reliable access to the web resources and productivity technologies they need.
Kevin Ryan, CEO, onwave, said, “Consumers want high quality broadband, home phone and TV services for the lowest possible price. We decided that the best way to achieve this was to bundle everything into a single package, and really improve affordability and quality for those who are poorly serviced at present. The benefits will also spread to rural businesses, who will be able to compete on an equal footing with their urban counterparts, helping to spread employment and opportunities nationwide.
“Our new onwave brand herald’s our entry into the triple-play arena. It will be synonymous with the guarantees of superior customer service, universal access and excellent customer experiences. These have helped us to become Europe’s largest provider of residential satellite broadband services, in just three years.”
onwave also plans to launch more business services which will provide significantly higher speeds, up to 20Mb download.
- Bitmovin and MainStreaming partner to deliver broadcast-quality video streams
- New products and more countries for Amazon-built TV range
- Pay TV subscribers in Eastern Europe to fall to 73 million in 2028
- VIZIO selects Whip Media for WatchFree+ ad revenue reporting
- Qwilt partners with Telefónica to provide CDN services in Spain
- Ateme launches 'audience-aware' streaming solution