DIRECTV Latin America Vaults Past the 10 Million Customer MarkThursday, June 2nd, 2011
Best-in-Class Technology, Programming and Service Propels Record Year-Over-Year Growth for Region’s Leading Pay TV Service
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. — On pace for another record-setting year of growth, DIRECTV Latin America (DTVLA), an operating unit of DIRECTV (NASDAQ:DTV), the world’s largest pay TV service, has surged past a major milestone today – its 10 millionth customer.
The leading provider of digital television services in Latin America, DTVLA reached the milestone eight weeks after posting its best ever results in the first quarter on top of a record year of subscriber growth and revenue for 2010. The unprecedented growth was driven by the strong brand, competitive offers, unique products and services, and increasing demand from a young and growing middle class.
“Bruce Churchill and his team have done a terrific job of transforming our Latin American operations over the past seven years into the fastest growing pay TV service in the region that continues to add tremendous value to the DIRECTV enterprise,” said Mike White, DIRECTV’s chairman, president and CEO. “This significant milestone underscores the phenomenal success story that DTVLA has become, and is an achievement that everyone on the DIRECTV Latin American team can be proud of.”
“Passing the 10 million customer mark is a real achievement,” said Bruce Churchill, president of DIRECTV Latin America. “When we re-launched these businesses in 2004, we started with just over 3 million customers and had optimistically hoped to double our size over time. Now we have far exceeded our expectations thanks to the team at DTVLA and the world class products and services we’ve been able to deliver to the market. I would also like to thank my colleagues at DIRECTV U.S., and our numerous partners in Latin America, who have contributed to our success.”
On the way to 10 million customers, DIRECTV Latin America has been the leading provider of programming, technology and service, delivering the best experience to viewers in the region. Major milestones include:
- The first pay TV provider to offer all FIFA World Cup games in HD (FIFA World Cup™ 2010).
- Broadcast expanded and exclusive coverage of the BBVA Spanish League beginning in 2006, including industry-leading coverage in HD.
- Introduction of world class technology developed by DIRECTV U.S. to offer Latin American customers the most advanced DVRs, HDDVRs and interactive programming features in the region. Approximately 26 percent of all customers now have a DVR or HD.
- The first pay TV provider in the region to offer a pre-paid service to better suit the buying habits of key segments of the Latin American consumer.
- Delivered award-winning customer care from regional care centers in Colombia, Argentina and Brazil. In 2011, SKY Brasil earned the Customer Service Excellence award – the Brazilian equivalent of the J.D. Power award – from the Editorial Padrão Group for the ninth consecutive year.
DIRECTV Latin America comprises three business units: DIRECTV PanAmericana, which provides service in Argentina, Chile, Colombia, the Caribbean, Ecuador, Perú, Venezuela, Puerto Rico and Uruguay; SKY Brasil, which is 93 percent owned by DIRECTV Latin America; and SKY Mexico, in which DIRECTV Latin America has a 41 percent equity method investment. PanAmericana and SKY Brasil have approximately 6.6 million customers and SKY Mexico has about 3.4 million customers.