3D Mobile Devices to Increase Demand for Image Sensors 130% by 2015Wednesday, June 22nd, 2011
After decades of interest and false starts, 3D is finally becoming a mainstream technology through gaming and video content. Not only will this have an impact on traditional home CE devices, but mobile devices as well. These media consumption devices including handheld game consoles, smartphones, and tablets will drive demand for image sensors–a key technology component for 3D–over 130% by 2015, according to new In-Stat research, 3D in Mobile Technology: Processors, Image Sensors, and Displays Drive the 3D Experience (#IN1105069SI).
“The image sensor segment stands to gain the most from the use of 3D technology in mobile devices, because unlike the processor or the display, true 3D requires at least two image sensors, one for each imaging solution,” says Jim McGregor, Chief Technology Strategist. “That means four image sensors, two front facing and two rear facing, are required for a full 3D experience. Several mobile devices with four image sensors have already been introduced and many more are slated for introduction throughout 2011 and 2012.”
Recent research findings include:
- Total annual shipments of 3D mobile devices will surpass 148 million units in 2015.
- Nearly 30% of all handheld game consoles will be 3D by 2015.
- In 2011, handheld game consoles will be the first 3D-enabled mobile device to surpass 1 million units annually.
- By 2014, 18% of all tablets will be 3D.
Recent In-Stat research, 3D on Mobile Technology: Processors, Image Sensors, and Displays Drive the 3D Experience (#IN1105069SI), analyzes the challenges and opportunities for 3D technology in mobile devices and what it means for the underlying technologies as image sensors, mobile processors, and displays as well as the potential impact on costs and other technologies in the mobile market.
Included in the report:
- Adoption rates of 3D technology by mobile platform, 2010-2015
- Demand for image sensors by mobile device with 3D upside, 2010-2015
- Sample 3D mobile product review; Nintendo 3DS Handheld Game Console, Fuji FinePix REAL 3D, GoPro 3D HERO, Sony Bloggie 3D, ViewSonic 3DV5, LG Optimus/G-Slate Tablet, Origin EON15-3D Notebook PC, Toshiba Satellite A665-3DV Notebook PC, Fujitsu LIFEBOOK AH572 3D Notebook PC, HP Envy 17 3D Notebook PC, ASUS G51 Jx 3DE Notebook PC, Lenovo IdeaPad Y560d, Dell XPS 17 3D and Alienware M17x 3D, LG Optimus 3D, HTC EVO 3D Handset, and Sharp’s Galapagos 003SH and 005SH Handset
For a free sample of the report and more information contact Elaine Potter, email@example.com; (480) 483-4441
- Irdeto ensures integrity of apps running on OSNtv
- Thales and Netskrt Systems collaborate on inflight VOD streaming
- Samsung chip to power Hyundai in-vehicle infotainment
- Radio Television Hong Kong selects Irdeto multi-DRM solution
- Spectrum Reach taps Beachfront for programmatic monetization of convergent TV
- Netgem enables multiscreen TV for ZEOP with new UI on Android TV