Videocon Doubles Subscriber Base in 8 Months Using IrdetoThursday, September 1st, 2011
Videocon d2h drives subscriber uptake in India with an innovative DTH experience powered by Irdeto’s conditional access, middleware and customer care & billing solutions
Just eight months after securing its first two million customers, Videocon d2h (Bombay: 511389), a provider of direct-to-home (DTH) services for India, has reached four million subscribers. A customer of Irdeto (JSE: NPN), a global software security and media technology company, Videocon d2h implemented and launched their services using Irdeto’s robust end-to-end pay-TV solution suite in 2009 to help diversify into the rapidly growing, highly competitive Indian pay-TV market.
The Videocon d2h solution includes Irdeto’s complete end-to-end solution for new pay-TV platforms – including its conditional access (CA), middleware and customer care and billing systems – to offer highly effective content protection, plus customizable user experience and billing.
Working closely with Irdeto to maximize cost effectiveness and ease of deployment, Videocon d2h rapidly delivered a DTH offering across India featuring a 300-channel service with the most sports and Real HD channel, India’s first HD 3D active channel and the most regional language channels to correspond with a highly diverse mix of cultural and religious interests. The customized solution includes a customer interface in 10 different languages, a feat not possible on most competing platforms. Videocon manufactures the standard definition and High Definition 3D set top boxes.
Irdeto’s end-to-end solution has enabled Videocon d2h to:
- Offer over 300 channels to suit a diverse array of interests
- Customize program delivery and billing systems to ensure consumers enjoy a distinctive user experience that stands out from the competition. Using Irdeto’s technology, Videocon was able to accommodate two million subscribers in the first 18 months of operation and doubled subscriber counts in the subsequent six months.
- Easily manage the complexities of pre-paid billing for a transparent and effective process that keeps consumers updated with details of their credit levels and top-up requirements at all times
- Develop and implement new applications on Irdeto’s Java-based middleware platform without the need to turn to external IT consultants for expensive middleware modifications
- Test and fine-tune new applications in order to maximize and expand revenue stream potential.
“Our work with Irdeto has been a key factor in our ability to achieve such fast subscriber growth,” said Mr. Saurabh Dhoot, director, Videocon Group. “The complexities associated with delivering such a broad range of content make technology a key differentiator in the Indian pay-TV market. Irdeto’s solution gives us a real edge over our competitors by enabling us to quickly develop and deploy such a compelling offering.”
Mr. Anil Khera, CEO, Videocon d2h, added: “In my 30 years of experience working in the consumer entertainment industry, I’ve learned technology often provides the foundation for innovation. Irdeto has enabled us to expand and customize our program delivery to better personalize our content for the wide range of unique preferences in Indian consumers. We look forward to achieving additional milestones in the future with Irdeto as our partner.”
Mr. Graham Kill, CEO, Irdeto, said: “Irdeto congratulates Videocon d2h on this fantastic growth, especially in such a competitive market. The exponential growth of viewers in this region presents multiple opportunities for Videocon d2h, and we are proud to have been a part of developing a robust, sustainable pay-TV offering that will enable the continued growth of its customer base.”
- FAST channels redefining premium video distribution
- Frontier adds integrated billing for YouTube TV
- M2A Media to debut encoder-based ad insertion at 2023 NAB Show
- GTPL Hathway partners with Broadpeak for OTT service delivery
- ZEE5 now available on Astro's Ultra and Ulti boxes
- Emitel to pilot dynamic ad insertion system in Poland