Broadcom Accelerates Set-Top Box Development by Integrating Comcast's New Reference Design KitTuesday, January 10th, 2012
Broadcom’s Support for Comcast’s RDK and New Tru2Way TV Guides Opens the Way to More Interactive, Personal and Social TV
- Simplifies and accelerates next generation set-top box (STB) development and deployment
- Delivers an even more interactive, rich and personalized multi-screen entertainment experience in the home
- Enables cost-effective and low power next generation server-client home architectures
- Demonstration of Comcast’s RDK and tru2way TV guides on Broadcom’s technology will be showcased at CES 2012
LAS VEGAS — 2012 International CES — Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced that its industry leading connected home STB platforms support the Comcast® (NASDAQ: CMCSA, CMCSK) Device Software Reference Design Kit (RDK)and tru2way® on-screen guides. The Comcast RDK is a pre-integrated software bundle that powers tru2way, IP or Hybrid Set-Top Boxes. The RDK includes the CableLabs OCAP Reference Implementation software along with other leading open source components.
By incorporating Broadcom’s flagship BCM7425 Dual HD Transcoding MoCA 2.0 Gateway platform, developers using Comcast’s RDK can create rich, multi-screen TV home entertainment experiences.
- Broadcom’s BCM7425, BCM7428, BCM7420 and BCM7125 high performance, connected home STB platforms feature support for Comcast’s RDK and tru2way guides for existing and next generation set-top boxes.
- Broadcom’s solutions also feature integrated DLNA and MoCA home networking technologies along with a powerful CPU, advanced audio/video decompression, rich on-screen graphics and robust security technologies.
- The BCM7425 Dual HD Transcoding Gateway platform features dual HD decoding and dual transcoding support for streaming simultaneous video broadcast content wirelessly to multiple devices, paving the way for advanced services like video conferencing and faster channel change with Broadcom’s FastRTV® technology.
Steve Reynolds, SVP, Comcast
“We are pleased to see the RDK and new tru2way guides embraced by top technology providers like Broadcom. With Broadcom’s support, we look forward to delivering even more interactive, rich and personalized entertainment experiences in the home.”
Dan Marotta, EVP & GM, Broadband Communications Group, Broadcom
“We are pleased to continue our long-term partnership with Comcast and integrate its innovative RDK and tru2Way on-screen guides in existing and next-generation set-top box platforms. Today’s announcement opens the way for broad industry adoption and deployment.”