Broadcom® Set-Top Box Technology Powers YouView InnovationsFriday, September 7th, 2012
Transforms TV Content Delivery and Consumption in the UK
- YouView digital TV service seamlessly integrates and delivers multiple sources of content including Catch-up TV, broadcast, DVR and VoD services
- Broadcom’s high performance CPU and graphics capabilities unite smooth animation and video to create a single, intuitive user experience
- Broadcom’s innovative and flexible chipset architecture supports converged content delivery and meets stringent security requirements
AMSTERDAM — IBC 2012 — Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced that its high performance set-top box technology is being deployed by YouView, a UK-based digital TV service. See demonstrations at IBC.
YouView features an innovative program guide combining live TV, video-on-demand (VoD), DVR content and Catch-up TV, including the ability to scroll back seven days to watch missed shows. Viewers can enjoy more than 100 digital TV and radio channels, seven day catch-up and on demand programs from the content libraries of the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 – all discoverable through YouView’s simple-to-use user interface. Now TV provides YouView customers a commitment-free way to access a great range of pay movies and recently added milkshake! is home to some of the best loved pre-school TV.
- Consumers can experience YouView by purchasing a subscription-free device at retail. Humax, a leading global set-top box manufacturer, is now shipping its Digital Television Recorder for YouView. Bundle offers with a broadband package from TalkTalk, a leading service provider in the UK, have been announced and offers from BT are planned.
- Broadcom’s set-top box SoC platforms feature a high performance CPU built upon open source software to deliver a flexible and stable multi-application, system-level solution to the market.
- Key functionality includes:
- Multi-Application Framework: enables the display of broadcast and OTT content and services based on the Open Source DirectFB window manager.
- Highly Robust Digital Rights Management (DRM) technology: brings a new level of protection to content delivered using DRM security.
Dan Marotta, Broadcom Executive Vice President & General Manager, Broadband Communications Group
“Committed to YouView since its inception, we are very happy to see YouView now launched in the market. We are confident that YouView’s groundbreaking user experience sets a new standard in how consumers will expect to interact with television in the future.”
- Tenstorrent to build AI and RISC-V chiplets with LG for Smart TVs
- DISH brings its linear TV to the digital ad marketplace
- health tv launches first FAST channel with Amagi
- Number of UK SVOD homes falls in 1Q 2023
- inext signs Moldova distribution contract with DIGIMAX
- EL PAIS begins live broadcasts on its FAST channel with The Channel Store