ST showcases DOCSIS and C-DOCSIS 3.0 solutions at CCBN 2015Thursday, March 26th, 2015
ST Showcases Complete DOCSIS and C-DOCSIS® 3.0 Solution Line-up at CCBN 2015
- Turnkey Cable modem, Cable data gateway, and interactive set-top-box reference designs for transitioning DOCSIS 2.0 to DOCSIS 3.0 / C-DOCSIS
GENEVA — STMicroelectronics (NYSE: STM), a global semiconductor leader serving customers across the spectrum of electronics applications, will demonstrate the maturity and performance of its DOCSIS 3.0(1) solutions at CCBN, the largest broadcasting technology and equipment expo in the Asia-Pacific region, March 26-28, 2015 in Beijing, China.
The various flavors of DOCSIS have proven to be reliable and successful locally customized technologies for cable operators in China and around the world to deliver attractive multimedia home entertainment and services. End-user appetite for new services such as IP video, multi-screen TV and Ultra HD video is driving the need to adopt higher bandwidths enabled with DOCSIS 3.0 and C-DOCSIS 3.0.
ST serves the C-DOCSIS 3.0 market with the highly integrated gateway System-On-Chip (SoC) Alicante family comprised of the STiD125/127/128, offering various configurations of its CableLabs’ certified DOCSIS 3.0 SoC.
“As one of China’s largest manufacturers of set-top boxes and Cable Modems, the consumer drive to higher data rates is providing an opportunity to operators and driving the transition to DOCSIS 3.0, C-DOCSIS 3.0 and beyond. With ST’s technology and Coship’s experience we see a great opportunity for DOCSIS 3.0 globally,” said Ken Wang, General Manager of Overseas Sales Department, Coship Electronics.
“With more than 17 years of experience in Set Top Boxes in the China and export market, Jiuzhou sees the transition to DOCSIS 3.0 for high performance broadband as an exciting opportunity and ST’s technology and technical support have been extremely effective in making that upgrade,” said Mr. Yang Zhanbing, Chief Technology Officer, Sichuan Jiuzhou Electronic Technology Co.
“In China, the big shift ongoing today is the transition to C-DOCSIS 3.0 being driven by the ever higher data requirements of the enriched applications used by cable end customers,” said Philippe Notton, Group Vice President and General Manager, Consumer Product Division, STMicroelectronics. “We are supporting this with cost-effective, low-power DOCSIS 3.0 / C-DOCSIS solutions to drive the transition from DOCSIS 2.0 to 3.0 / C-DOCSIS.”
ST’s turnkey reference designs for cable modem, cable data gateways, and interactive set-top boxes are available to partners to accelerate market introduction. Among the demonstrations to be shown at CCBN are:
- Alicante Gateway Server and Cannes set-top-box Client connected together through MoCA 2.0/Wi-Fi 802.11ac for a multi-room, multi-screen, and Ultra HD experience at home;
- High-Speed Gateway.
According to an IHS study(2) published in February 2014, 100% of Cable Broadband CPE (Customer Premises Equipment) shipments by 2016 will conform to DOCSIS 3.x requirements.
ST will be highlighting its Alicante family in a private suite during China Content Broadcasting Network (CCBN) 2015, and will have other technologies and products on public display at the show (Hall 3, booth #3306).
1. specifications adopted by cable service providers and equipment suppliers in North America. The equivalent EuroDOCSIS specification is widely used throughout Europe and C-DOCSIS is the specification adopted in China.
2. Cable Players with DOCSIS 3.0 Square Off Against Telcos and Broadband Fiber, IHS
- STARZ domestic OTT subscribers up 700,000 in 1Q 2023
- New DIRECTV STREAM customers get priority access to Telly waiting list
- Insys Video Technologies simplifies video streaming with Bitmovin
- BeIN Media and Google Cloud announce media and broadcast collaboration
- Activated STBs grow to 3,166,461 for South Africa's Openview
- Singtel TV subscribers down 6,000 in 1Q 2023