Harmonic Redefines IP-Based Video Delivery at IPTV World Forum 2008Thursday, March 6th, 2008
Showcases Integrated Solutions for Delivering Enhanced Personalized Video Experience and Advertisement Insertion
SUNNYVALE, Calif. — At the 2008 IPTV World Forum, stands #141 and #211, Harmonic Inc. (NASDAQ:HLIT) will present its market-leading broadcast and on-demand video delivery solutions for telco, cable and Internet service providers. With Harmonic’s comprehensive IPTV portfolio — encompassing compression, stream processing, content preparation, on-demand software and advertisement/video servers — operators can generate incremental revenue and provide a more personalized video experience. Harmonic executives will also share their industry expertise as featured speakers during the telco IPTV and IP cable sessions of the conference, and the Company is a finalist for four IPTV World Series awards. Taking place in London from March 12-14, the IPTV World Forum conference and exhibition is Europe’s premier event focused on IP-based video delivery.
Key demonstrations at Harmonic’s stand #141 include:
- High definition (HD) MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) video using Harmonic’s industry-leading DiviCom® Electra™ 7000 encoder for various applications including SD to HD up-conversion and dual bit-rate compression for constrained networks
- A hybrid headend with standard definition (SD) H.264 video encoded by the Electra 5400 and the new Ion™ AVC systems, ideal for long-tail content delivery
- A video-on-demand (VOD) demonstration featuring the MediaPrism™ suite of content preparation tools, time-shifted “catch up TV” and targeted ad insertion applications
- H.264 multi-channel mosaic compilations delivered using the ProStream™ 8000 solution
- Harmonic’s integrated advertisement insertion solution, including the ProStream 2000 splicer, StreamLiner® 2000 ad server and MediaPrism for ad ingest and overlay.
“Telco IPTV deployments continue to expand, and IP-based cable service delivery is gaining momentum,” said Thierry Fautier, Director of Telco Solutions for Harmonic Inc. “Harmonic has pioneered IP video delivery with the first fully native IP product line available, and supports the leading IPTV service operators around the world in provisioning superior quality TV. Harmonic offers tools to deliver new applications in an IP environment such as live targeted advertising, Mosaic viewer interfaces as well as on-demand content delivery.”
Harmonic’s Rhozet™ business unit will feature Carbon Coder™, the industry-leading universal transcoder, at stand #211. Carbon Coder facilitates the transfer of media between acquisition, editing, playout, archive, Internet and mobile. Supporting all major formats (currently more than 40), Carbon Coder can run as a stand-alone application or as part of a multi-node, fully-automated rendering farm controlled by Carbon Server™ to deliver high-performance, scalable and cost-effective transcoding for enterprise-scale installations.
“One of the key challenges facing IPTV providers is the conversion of film and television content from its original form into the required delivery format,” said David Trescot, Vice President of Harmonic’s Rhozet business unit. “Rhozet provides transcoding software that allows for the large-scale conversion of tens of thousands of hours of content from any format into any needed IPTV format.”