Disney+ to lead the next OTT boom in Western EuropeFriday, May 31st, 2019
Digital TV Research forecasts 131.20 million gross SVOD subscriptions in Western Europe by 2024, doubling from 65.19 million by end-2018. About 13 million subscribers will be added in 2019 alone, with a similar number of additions expected in 2020.
Source: Digital TV Research
SVOD homes will pay for an average of 1.71 SVOD subscriptions by 2024 – up from 1.42 in 2018. About 43.4% of TV households will have at least one SVOD subscription by 2024; up from 26.3% in 2018. Penetration will reach nearly two-thirds of TV households in Norway, but will be under 30% in Italy.
Gross SVOD subscriptions will represent 74.2% of Western European TV households by 2024, double from 37.3% at end-2018. Germany, Italy, France and Spain will all be below the regional average by 2024. Five countries will be above 100% of TV households.
Netflix will remain the largest pan-regional SVOD platform by some distance, with 54.86 million paying subscribers expected by 2024 – or 42% of the region’s total. This proportion is down from 54% in 2018, but it does mean that the platform will add 20 million subscribers.
Simon Murray, Principal Analyst at Digital TV Research, said: “Disney+ will make a strong and immediate impact, given its extensive brand recognition and impressive content line-up. We forecast 19.18 million paying subscribers by 2024 – fast approaching Amazon Prime Video.”
- SoftAtHome implements Alexa voice control software for etisalat by e&
- Arabsat Badr-8 satellite successfully launched
- Streaming TV growth in Latin America driven by ad-supported viewing
- STARZ domestic OTT subscribers up 700,000 in 1Q 2023
- New DIRECTV STREAM customers get priority access to Telly waiting list
- Insys Video Technologies simplifies video streaming with Bitmovin