Top five SVOD platforms to have 678 million subscribers by 2025Monday, November 16th, 2020
Disney+ to add 112 million subscribers
Source: Digital TV Research
Based on September 2020 results, Digital TV Research expects five global platforms to have 678 million paying SVOD subscribers by 2025. Disney+ will add 112 million subscribers between 2020 and 2025 to take its total to 194 million. Netflix will increase by 73 million subscribers; revealing strong growth even for the longest established platform.
Simon Murray, Principal Analyst at Digital TV Research, said: “Much of Disney+’ initial growth came from the US, mainly due to the attractive bundle of Disney+ with ESPN+ and Hulu. More recently, India’s Disney+ Hotstar subs count has rocketed due to its coverage of IPL cricket. The US and India will account for nearly half of Disney+’ subscriber base by 2025.”
Netflix’s revenues will reach $37 billion by 2025 – up by $17 billion on its 2019 total. Disney+ will generate $13 billion by 2025 – impressive since it only started in November 2019. However, this is a lot lower than Netflix due to lower ARPUs charged in developing markets.
Links: Digital TV Research
- Breezeline Stream TV launches in Pennsylvania
- SES-18 and SES-19 C-band satellites for the U.S. successfully launched
- OTT TV revenues in Western Europe to reach $45 billion by 2028
- DVB publishes updated Multicast ABR specification and guidelines
- Channel 4 adds Xandr to its digital ad-buying suite
- Mola boosts ABR streaming quality with Broadpeak