NDS Partners with Alcatel-Lucent to Protect and Power MediaCorp, MobileOne (M1), SingTel and StarHub Mobile TV TrialMonday, October 13th, 2008
- NDS provides market leading conditional access (CA) solution for world’s first commercial trial of the Open Mobile Alliance (OMA)’s BCAST Smartcard Profile (SCP) standard
- Industry leaders MediaCorp, MobileOne (M1), SingTel, and StarHub lead ground-breaking mobile TV trial
- Innovative NDS solution combines industry-leading content protection from VideoGuard Mobile™ with the revolutionary NDS Unified Headend™ convergence platform
SINGAPORE — NDS Group plc (NASDAQ: NNDS), the leading provider of technology solutions for digital pay-TV, today announced that it is providing the core conditional access (CA) security infrastructure for the world’s first commercial trial of the new OMA BCAST SCP standard, an emerging key standard for mobile TV content protection, in Singapore.
Mobile telecommunications providers M1 Limited, SingTel and StarHub are working with MediaCorp, the country’s leading media company, to run the three-month trial. The Mobile Interactive TV solution from Alcatel-Lucent (Paris and NYSE: ALU) powers the DVB-H (Digital Video Broadcasting-Handheld) platform for the trial. The trial includes mobile devices from Samsung and Smartcard Profile-compliant SIM cards from Gemalto.
The NDS solution is based on NDS Unified Headend™ architecture, which provides a single point of rights management for all video broadcasts, irrespective of the delivery networks or the rendering devices. The new platform supports multiple mobile broadcast profiles and multiple handsets simultaneously and cost-effectively, centralising content distribution from a single headend for consumption on multiple devices
Mock Pak Lum, MediaCorp’s Managing Director for Technologies said, “The mobile phone is truly a unique platform as a third screen for TV content. The success of the mobile TV service depends on availability of handsets and a good user experience. We are very happy that NDS is supporting us for this trial.”
“We are pleased to be able to partner with NDS to provide Singapore’s leading mobile communications industry players with more advanced mobile TV options for Singaporeans,” said Oliver Foo, Managing Director, Singapore and Brunei, Alcatel-Lucent. “Asian subscribers are ready for a mobile TV offering that delivers a large variety of choices, a high level of personalisation, maximum interactivity and great quality of service.”
“NDS is proud to be providing world leading conditional access technology for this groundbreaking trial,” said Sue Taylor, Senior VP and General Manager of NDS Asia Pacific. “Being selected to partner with Alcatel-Lucent, M1, MediaCorp, SingTel and StarHub is a validation of the technology leadership of NDS. The market is changing and NDS is at the forefront, delivering pioneering technology for convergent solutions.”
- CDNetworks powers VSTV K+ OTT streaming in Vietnam
- 24i and Amagi partner to enable rapid launch of streaming services
- Net Insight and Skyline partner on live video workflows
- Mixed fortunes for pay TV in the Asia Pacific region
- Evolution Digital integrates OpenSync with an Android TV set-top box
- ARF calls for move away from TV households as basis of TV measurement