Kenya Digital TV News
Startimes Media launches Free-to-Air set top box in Kenya
Jun 4, 2013 – StarTimes Media has announced the introduction of its DVB-T2 free to air set top box to the Kenyan market. The free to air set top box will enable costumers to access digital television without a monthly subscription fee.
News categories: StarTimes, Digital TV, DVB-T2, Kenya, Set Top Box, Terrestrial
Digital TV penetration accelerates in Sub-Saharan Africa
Jan 8, 2013 – About 35.3% of TV homes in Sub-Saharan Africa took digital signals by end-2012, according to a report from Digital TV Research. The Digital TV Sub-Saharan Africa report forecasts that digital TV penetration will rocket to 95.5% by 2018 – with household numbers quadrupling to 49.0 million.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Africa, Angola, Côte d'Ivoire, Digital TV, Ghana, Kenya, Market Research, Nigeria, South Africa, Subscribers, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia
StarTimes launches DVB-T2 across Africa
Dec 18, 2012 – StarTimes has announced the launch of DVB-T2 technology in several African countries including Nigeria, Kenya, Uganda, Mozambique and Tanzania. In Nigeria, StarTimes is collaborating with the Nigerian Television Network (NTA) to provide DTT services.
News categories: StarTimes, Digital TV, DVB-T2, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Tanzania, Terrestrial, Uganda
Kenya removes conditional access requirement for DTT set-top boxes
Aug 28, 2012 – The price of digital terrestrial TV set-top boxes in Kenya is expected to fall after the Communications Commission of Kenya (CCK) removed the requirement that all STBs must have integrated conditional access.
News categories: Communications Commission of Kenya, Conditional Access, DVB-T2, Kenya, Regulation, Set Top Box, Terrestrial
East African Community Ministers Want Digital Broadcast Migration Expedited
Nov 14, 2011 – At the EAC's 9th Meeting of the Sectoral Council on Transport, Communications and Meteorology (TCM), ministers directed Partner States to expedite the process of putting in place legislation for the implementation of digital TV broadcasting.
News categories: East African Community, Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Set Top Box, Tanzania, Terrestrial, Uganda
International Datacasting Secures Wananchi Contracts and Financing for DTH Broadcast Service
Jul 25, 2011 – International Datacasting Corporation (TSX:IDC) has announced a vendor financing package, and follow on contracts with the Wananchi Group for the rollout of a Direct-to-Home (DTH) broadcast service in Africa.
News categories: International Datacasting, Wananchi, Finance, Infrastructure, Kenya, Satellite
DStv Mobile Deploys Irdeto to Deliver Content to Viewers on the Go
Jun 6, 2011 – Irdeto (JSE: NPN) has announced that it is securing and delivering live TV to mobile devices for DStv Mobile. In partnership with Korean manufacturer Valups, Irdeto is delivering content from DStv Mobile to a variety of different devices on the go.
News categories: Irdeto, DStv, Valups, Conditional Access, Content Protection, Digital TV, Ghana, Kenya, Mobile, Namibia, Nigeria, South Africa
SES Joins Forces with Wananchi to Launch Zuku TV DTH in East Africa
May 30, 2011 – SES (Paris, LuxX:SESG) has joined forces with Kenyan television and broadband operator Wananchi to launch a new Direct-to-Home (DTH) line-up called Zuku TV in East Africa. Zuku TV is set to launch in July using SES capacity.
News categories: SES S.A., Wananchi, Zuku, Burundi, Digital TV, DVB-S2, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Rwanda, Satellite, Tanzania, Uganda
- HbbTV three-way partnership launches integrated toolbox for broadcasters at BCA
- VeriSilicon introduces Hantro G2 video decoder IP with HEVC and VP9 support
- The days of fast global pay TV revenue growth are over
- Verimatrix to provide security for NTT Plala's multiscreen offering
- Measat and Ericsson trial UHDTV satellite contribution
- Tvingo Telecom reaches 30,000 IPTV subscribers
- Telenet launches 'TV with a card' CI+ option
- Vectra launches new HD set-top box from Motorola
- Sigma Designs reports first quarter fiscal 2014 results
- Huawei widens lead in broadband CPE market
- Astro Malaysia adds 40k pay TV subscribers in quarter to end-April
- Minerva secures RDK licence from Comcast
- Amino and Intracom to provide IPTV entertainment solution to South Eastern European operator
- One billion pay TV subscribers by 2018
- Brazil to move final analogue switchover to 2018
- Comcast introduces X2 Xfinity platform
- Time Warner Cable to bring content to Samsung Smart TVs without a Set Top Box
- Simple.TV adds Rovi Entertainment Store
- 115 million U.S. and Canadian pay TV subscribers to have access to multiscreen services by 2016
- NTT to show 4K internet streaming to a set-top box at IMC Tokyo 2013