Digital TV News: Comcast
Major US multi-channel video providers lost about 25,000 subscribers in 3Q 2013
Nov 18, 2013 – Leichtman Research has found that the thirteen largest multi-channel video providers in the US -- representing about 94% of the market -- lost about 25,000 net video subscribers in 3Q 2013, compared to a loss of about 50,000 video subscribers in 3Q 2012.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
IPTV and cable TV subscribers on opposite trajectories
Nov 7, 2013 – According to Infonetics Research's Pay TV Subscriber Database, from 4Q12 to 1Q13, IPTV subscribers grew over 6% worldwide, while cable video subs declined around 1%.
News categories: Infonetics Research, Jeff Heynen, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers
Comcast launches Xfinity TV Go app
Nov 5, 2013 – Comcast has launched an update to its Xfinity TV Player App, now called Xfinity TV Go. The new Xfinity TV Go app enables customers to watch up to 35 television channels over the Internet on their Apple and Android-powered mobile devices.
News categories: Comcast, Charlie Herrin, Apps, Cable TV, Smartphone, Tablet, TV Everywhere, USA
Comcast video customers down 129,000 in 3Q 2013
Oct 30, 2013 – Comcast (NASDAQ: CMCSA, CMCSK) has reported results for the quarter ended September 30, 2013. Customers increased by 337,000 in the quarter, driven by growth in high-speed Internet and voice customers, partially offset by video customer losses.
News categories: Comcast, Cable TV, Results, Subscribers, USA
Liberty Global taps ActiveVideo CloudTV to complement cloud UI strategy
Sep 12, 2013 – ActiveVideo and Liberty Global (NASDAQ: LBTYA) have announced that ActiveVideo's CloudTV™ software platform has been enlisted by Liberty Global to expand the user experiences offered by Horizon TV, Liberty Global's media and entertainment platform.
News categories: ActiveVideo, Liberty Global, Aamir Hussain, Jeff Miller, Cable TV, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Middleware, Set Top Box
Glashart Media selects ActiveVideo CloudTV H5 platform
Sep 12, 2013 – ActiveVideo has announced that Glashart Media, a Dutch IPTV service provider, has executed a system-wide upgrade of its interactive services to the ActiveVideo CloudTV™ H5 software platform.
News categories: ActiveVideo, Glashart Media, Niels Jonkman, Ronald Brockmann, Cable TV, Digital TV, Infrastructure, IPTV, Middleware, Netherlands
Pay TV set top box market healthy, growth expected to 2016
Aug 20, 2013 – Global Pay TV set top box (STB) shipments continue to grow, with demand expected to peak at 180 million units in 2016, according to new research from Futuresource Consulting.
News categories: Futuresource Consulting, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box
MHL Consortium announces MHL 3.0 specification
Aug 20, 2013 – MHL, LLC has announced the MHL 3.0 specification to address the latest consumer requirements for connecting a mobile device to displays, marking major advancements in the areas of audio and video transmission over an MHL® link.
News categories: MHL Consortium, Connectivity, Multiscreen, Smart TV, Smartphone, Tablet
- SK broadband IPTV subscribers pass the 2 million mark
- ViXS reports results for the third quarter of fiscal 2014
- NimbleTV cloud-based TV service launches in NYC
- UUX iTaaS platform powers Telenor MyTV multiscreen TV
- Australia switches off final analogue free-to-air TV signal
- CANAL+ launches myCANAL second screen service
- Shipments of OTT-enabled devices set to reach 1.7 billion this year
- Telefonica losing Pay TV share in key Latin American markets
- Cyta Hellas launches IPTV in Greece
- Stream TV partners with BOE to introduce 55" 4K 3D glasses-free display
- India's Fastway orders 1 million Conax secure clients
- Fetch TV celebrates 100K subscribers with launch of upgraded mobile app
- DVRs levelling off at about half of all US TV households
- South Africa to switch on digital TV by April 1, 2014
- Kidoodle TV OTT service for children launches in USA and Canada
- South Africa's Cabinet issues statement on conditional access
- Mongolia's MNBC migrates to DVB-T2 with Thomson video headend
- Qualy TV DTH arrives in Costa Rica
- Elliptic Technologies announces hardware-enforced content protection for Microsoft® PlayReady®
- Marvell unveils SoC for Google Services for Smart TVs with Hisense