Digital TV News: Comcast
Pace to use Myriad Java in select set-top boxes and gateways
Apr 30, 2013 — Myriad Group (SIX: MYRN) has announced that Pace (LSE: PIC) has selected Myriad's Java™ technology for use in their RDK compliant set-top boxes. The JVM is a key component of the Comcast Reference Design Kit (RDK).
News categories: Myriad Group, Pace plc, Cable TV, Digital TV, Gateway, Middleware, Set Top Box, USA
Major U.S. multi-channel video providers added about 170,000 subscribers in 2012
Mar 18, 2013 — Leichtman Research Group (LRG) has found that the thirteen largest multi-channel video providers in the US -- representing about 94% of the market -- acquired over 170,000 net additional video subscribers in 2012. Annual net multi-channel video additions in 2012 were about 230,000 fewer than in 2011.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
thePlatform selected by BT as Central Video Logistics System for TV
Mar 14, 2013 — thePlatform has disclosed that its cloud-based video publishing system, mpx, is serving as the central logistics system for BT’s newest IP-based TV services in the UK, including BT Vision and YouView from BT.
News categories: thePlatform, BT plc, Infrastructure, IPTV, OTT, UK
FilmFlex Selects Irdeto to Protect On-Demand Movies on iOS and Android Devices
Mar 5, 2013 — Irdeto (JSE: NPN) has announced that FilmFlex has selected the company to secure its premium entertainment assets on iOS and Android smartphones and tablets. FilmFlex is using Irdeto's ActiveCloak™ to ensure the content delivered by FilmFlex customers is secured according to the robustness rules imposed by studios.
News categories: Irdeto, FilmFlex, Content Protection, Digital TV, DRM, Media Player, OTT, Smartphone, Tablet, TV Everywhere, UK
Pace plc: Preliminary Results for the year ended 31 December 2012
Mar 5, 2013 — Pace plc (LSE: PIC) has announced its results for the year ended 31 December 2012. STB and Media Server revenues were up 2.9% to $1,826.0m in 2012, driven largely by the high demand for Media Servers in H2 for both DIRECTV's Genie™ Advanced Whole-Home HD DVR and the XG1 for Comcast's new X1 service.
News categories: Pace plc, Cable TV, Gateway, Personal Video Recorder, Results, Satellite, Set Top Box
Telecom TV Services Increase Share of U.S. VOD-Movie-Rental Market
Mar 4, 2013 — According to The NPD Group, in 2012, cable-TV operators continued to control over half (56%) of the overall $1.3 billion U.S. multichannel video programming distributor (MVPD) transactional-VOD-movie market, followed by satellite-TV operators (27%), and telecom operators (18%).
News categories: NPD Group, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, USA
Entropic Reports Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year 2012 Results
Feb 5, 2013 — SAN DIEGO — Entropic (Nasdaq:ENTR), a world leader in semiconductor solutions for the connected home, today reported its fourth quarter and fiscal year results for the period ended December 31, 2012. Entropic reported fourth quarter net revenues of $89.7 million, a slight decrease compared with $89.8 million in the third quarter of 2012. Service Provider [...]
News categories: Entropic, Gateway, Home Networking, Results, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
ST's Set-Top Box Chips Integrate Reference Design Kit from Comcast
Jan 31, 2013 — Developers of high-end set-top boxes and video gateways can reduce time to market by taking advantage of the Reference Design Kit (RDK) from Comcast (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK), now pre-integrated with the Orly STiH416 system-on-chip from STMicroelectronics (NYSE: STM).
News categories: STMicroelectronics, Comcast, Cable TV, Digital TV, Middleware, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
- Multiscreen video delivery via residential gateways a fast-growing trend
- TalkTalk is Britain's fastest growing new TV service
- Vodafone to use Deutsche Telekom network for IPTV in Germany
- More than 3,000 on-demand services in Europe
- Russia to add 900,000 IPTV subscribers in 2013
- Mobile TV & video viewers to exceed 2 billion by 2017
- 24% of Russian homes equipped for satellite TV reception
- Belkin launches Dyle™ Mobile TV Receiver for iPad/iPhone
- Eastern Europe to add 13 million digital TV homes in 2013
- Vivendi (Canal+, GVT) releases first quarter 2013 results
- Farncombe and Inview collaborate on OTT solutions for the LatAm market
- Espial powers Harvard Freeview hybrid STBs and multiscreen apps
- Bhagyanagar Digital Services Indian cable consortium to use Conax content security
- HD+ increases customer base to 1.1 million German households in 1Q 2013
- BT Vision subscribers up 40,000 to 810,000 in 1Q 2013
- Reliance Digital TV subscribers unchanged in 1Q 2013 at 4.6 million
- Canal+ Spain subscribers down 26,500 in 1Q 2013
- StarHub pay TV subscribers down 4,000 in 1Q 2013
- DISH Network Reports First Quarter 2013 Financial Results
- NHK and Mitsubishi Develop World's First HEVC Encoder for 8K Super Hi-Vision