Trident to Showcase Its Newest Internet Connected TV and Set-Top Box Solutions During CES 2011Monday, January 3rd, 2011
SUNNYVALE, Calif. — Trident Microsystems, Inc. (Nasdaq: TRID), a leading provider of set-top box and TV semiconductor solutions, today announced that it will be showcasing its latest platform innovations enabling a new dimension in consumer entertainment in a private suite at the Wynn Hotel during CES 2011. Highlighting its strength in picture quality, 3D TV, connectivity and HD audio, Trident’s CES roundup will demonstrate how it is developing all of the building blocks needed by the Connected Home, where any content can be enjoyed at any time, on any display, from a variety of devices. These demonstrations will include
- A new system-on-chip (SoC) family designed for the next generation of Web enabled TVs;
- The first connected Cinema TV using a 21:9 screen;
- A variety of exciting online services that will be available on Trident-powered digital TVs and STBs;
- The industry’s first 45nm broadcast integrated set-top box SoC family.
“Trident has transformed itself into a strong and global market leader providing the underlying technology to most of the top-tier TV and set-top box OEMs,” said Christos Lagomichos, president of Trident Microsystems, Inc. “Our products are driving the capabilities that consumers will have in their home entertainment centers, and our CES demo suite showcases this technology and the complete ecosystem we have created around our hardware platform.”
Connected TV Solutions
With more than two decades of innovation in the semiconductor market and more than 2,000 patents, Trident provides the core technology that is powering many of the top TV brands today. The company’s Connected TV solutions deliver crystal clear images and enable consumers to seamlessly connect to the Internet and surf the web directly from their television. Some of the technologies to be highlighted at CES include:
- A new family of SoCs designed for the next generation of Web enabled TVs. The first family member, which will be announced this week, delivers an unparalleled user experience whether watching movies, accessing content served from the cloud, or interacting with social networking programs.
- A top-brand Cinema TV that makes use of a 21:9 screen size to deliver a viewing experience previously found only on the big screen in movie theaters.
- A variety of exciting new online services that have been integrated onto the Trident DTV platform.
- The Trident PNX 5130 chip, which represents the industry’s first integrated 2D-to-3D conversion chipset that provides best-in-class 3D capabilities while also enabling a 3D TV to display the high volume of 2D content that exists today.
- Trident’s patented motion estimation and motion compensation (MEMC) technology, which is an essential requirement for enhancing the picture quality in televisions and other consumer electronic devices.
- Trident’s industry leading frame rate converter products that are driving high quality 240Hz combined with rigorous BOM reduction.
- Innovative TV features such as a new 100/120Hz-SoC for next-generation Smart-TVs, enabling rich connectivity and 3D user interfaces.
- Advanced audio solutions for TV and home audio devices including realistic 3D/surround sound.
STB Platform Solutions
A new generation of set-top box solutions are coming to market that deliver exciting multimedia experiences into the home -e.g., 3DTV, 3D graphical user interfaces, personalized multi-screen services, rich navigation, and advanced Internet TV capabilities. With these set-top boxes, consumers will be able to seamlessly view TV programming, run rich internet applications, browse websites, and share content anytime and anywhere within the home. Trident uniquely delivers the major building blocks for enabling this next generation of set-top boxes. Some of the set-top box technologies that Trident will be demonstrating at CES include:
- Trident’s PNX847x/8x/9x family, which represents the industry’s first 45nm broadcast integrated SoC family and takes advantage of the high-performance ARM Cortex-A9 processor.
- Open platform Android software running on Trident’s latest set-top box platform.
- Mature and optimized STB hardware and software platform that enables quick-to-market solutions for HD DTA STBs, IPTV/OTT devices and NDS middleware based systems.
- Compelling 3D games that highlight the maturity and performance of the 3D GPU in the PNX847x/8x/9x family.
- Leading Web technologies such as Adobe® AIR® 2.5 for TV, HTML5 and OpenGLES2.0 gaming.
- New online services such as Thinking Screen Media, a managed flash-based application solution and YouTube’s new Leanback experience.