Huawei widens lead in broadband CPE marketWednesday, June 12th, 2013
Cable, FTTH CPE gain
CAMPBELL, California — Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its 1st quarter 2013 (1Q13) Broadband CPE and Subscribers: PON, FTTH, Cable, and DSL market share, size and forecasts report, which tracks digital subscriber line (DSL), cable and fiber to the home (FTTH) customer premises equipment (CPE), residential gateways and broadband subscribers.
“Better than expected sales of higher-end cable CPE, including headed and headless video gateways being sold in North America and Europe, helped the broadband CPE market put up another strong quarter,” notes Jeff Heynen, principal analyst for broadband access and pay TV at Infonetics Research.
Heynen adds: “Operators across multiple verticals are in the middle of a long-term transition to higher-speed broadband technologies like FTTH, DOCSIS 3.0 and VDSL2 to keep up with subscriber demand for multiscreen video.”
1Q13 BROADBAND CPE MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- Owing to the continued strong growth of FTTH and cable CPE, the global broadband CPE market hit $2.2 billion in 1Q13, an increase of 6% sequentially and 17% from the year-ago quarter
- Though the overall DSL CPE market is slowing on an annual basis, VDSL CPE continues to enjoy strong growth (+30% YoY), particularly in North America and EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa)
- Broadband CPE share leader Huawei pulled farther away from the pack in 1Q13, thanks to a 26% spike in revenue coming mostly from China, Singapore and Malaysia, where it is the primary supplier of GPON ONTs and ADSL CPE
- Former #2 ZTE slipped to 4th place, leapfrogged by Technicolor and ARRIS Group
- Pace plc’s share of the broadband CPE market continues to grow, and Infonetics expects it to challenge for a place in the top 3 this year
- Headless video gateways are forecast by Infonetics to grow at a 117% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) from 2012 to 2017