Deutsche Glasfaser selects ABOX42 STB for fibre TV in GermanyTuesday, September 9th, 2014
ABOX42 announces major deployment of its set-top-box technology to deliver a full TV experience using FttH networks
- Deutsche Glasfaser selecting ABOX42 SmartSTB platform for its ‘DGTV’ service based on fiber networks in Germany
KARLSRUHE — ABOX42 GmbH, a leading supplier of OTT, IPTV and Hybrid SmartSTB platforms, today announced that Deutsche Glasfaser GmbH, the leading German fiber-to-the-home (FttH) network provider, selected the ABOX42 M-Series SmartSTB platform including the ABOX42 advanced DVB feature set for its ‘DGTV’ service. The DGTV service will include around 100 SD channels, 50 HD and 100 radio channels. The service will be launched in October 2014.
Deutsche Glasfaser is one of the first major operators to deliver a full live IPTV service using unicast technologies and therefore avoiding to setup and operation of a costly and complex multicast networks for its comprehensive TV service.
The ABOX42 M-Series SmartSTB platform (Set Top Box Model M20) was selected for the service because of its unique combination of features, performance and complete development environment.
The core features used in the project are
- Rapid development using HTML5 for a modern user interface
- Advanced HLS adaptive bitrate streaming with multiple Audio tracks
- ABOX42 advanced technology for HLS with support of multiple audio tracks and – subtitles
- ABOX42 unique HbbTV (Red button) implementation allowing HbbTV services in combination with a HTML5 GUI and HLS Unicast adaptive bitrate streaming
- Support for Verimatrix VCAS DRM system and streaming formats side by side for Live TV, Catch-up TV and other services
- Support of Germany’s major VOD services
- Support of 3rd party Smart TV applications
Additionally Deutsche Glasfaser uses ABOX42 OPX Smart SaaS and Cloud TV services for Lifecycle Management of the STB deployment in the field.
“The ABOX42 M-Series SmartSTB with its unique feature set was able to bring our service live very quickly with least development efforts”, said Niels Jonkman, Business Manager at Deutsche Glasfaser Medien, “ABOX42´s experience in adaptive streaming, HbbTV and the integration of multiple 3rd party TV apps helps us to quickly develop our services. We made the right choice for our innovative DGTV service to appoint ABOX42 as key partner of our solution. Support and flexibility during all project phases where outstanding!”
“Operator services over time get more and more complex and offer much deeper functionality than in the traditional TV world. With our SmartSTB platform and the advanced Software Development Kit, Deutsche Glasfaser was able to develop a compelling user experience with all modern TV features quickly”, Matthias Greve, CEO of ABOX42 GmbH, said. “Our SDK is based on fast performing HTML5 and can easily be integrated into existing operator backends of our customers”.
The DGTV service will be rolled out by end of the year. On IBC ABOX42 will showcase a demo of the underlying technology.
For further information please contact ABOX42 or visit us on IBC, Hall 14.J13.