Samsung showcases end-to-end 5G technology at MWC19Sunday, February 24th, 2019
Samsung Showcases Industry-Defining End-to-End 5G Technology Solutions at MWC19
- From advancements in chips and networking equipment, to next generation devices, Samsung is bringing a 5G world to life
Samsung Electronics will kick off MWC19 by pushing boundaries and driving 5G momentum forward with new collaborations and innovations both for consumers and enterprises. From debuting the next generation of mobile experiences with the new Galaxy S10 5G to enriching its visionary global connectivity journey, Samsung is spearheading a new era of connected living.
At MWC19, Samsung will show how, through innovation, openness and scale, it’s leading the way in 5G and changing how people connect and communicate. For the first time ever on display, Samsung will show its new Galaxy S10 5G mobile phone, designed with the best hardware and software to take advantage of the full 5G experience. Also on display will be a full spectrum of equipment that helps make widescale 5G deployment possible. They include the next generation multi-mode modem chips and RF modules that are smaller in size, more energy-efficient and at the cutting-edge of technology, demonstrating Samsung’s innovation leadership beyond mobile and display. Samsung will also announce new partnerships with carriers and technology suppliers to support everyone’s path to 5G.
“At Samsung, we believe in delivering innovations that impact consumer lives,” said DJ Koh, President and CEO of IT & Mobile Communications Division, Samsung Electronics. “For more than 35 years, we’ve led the industry in new hardware and services that have helped to revolutionize the consumer experience. At MWC this year, we’re showcasing the remarkable breadth of our expanding connected ecosystem, from game-changing 5G end-to-end solutions to outstanding new additions to the Galaxy family such as Galaxy Fold and Galaxy S10 5G.”
Pioneering the Next Decade with New Mobile Devices
For the past decade, Samsung has been at the forefront of 5G research and development, and the fruit of its labor is the transformation of 5G from an ambitious theoretical concept into reality. The company delivered the world’s first gigabit speed 5G transmission, the first 5G handover between multiple cells, and now, the company’s first 5G smartphone in the Galaxy S10 5G.
The Galaxy S10 5G puts unprecedented power, speed and connectivity directly into the hands of consumers with the most powerful feature set available on a Galaxy S line device. With 5G connectivity, Galaxy S10 5G can access network speeds up to roughly 20 times faster than 4G networks, enabling an elevated mobile experience that benefits from powerful hot-spotting, hyper-fast streaming, 4K video-calls and next-level mobile gaming.
In addition to 5G mobile devices, Samsung continues to expand its complete ecosystem of devices, delivering exciting and powerful new mobile experiences, from wearables to tablets. At MWC this year, Samsung will showcase its latest product innovations – all seamlessly united under the renowned Galaxy family.
- The future unfolds with Galaxy Fold: Experience the world’s first 7.3-inch, Dynamic AMOLED Infinity Flex Display on the Galaxy Fold. Category-defining innovation, Galaxy Fold showcases a breakthrough design and an entirely new user experience.
- Celebrating a decade of innovation with the new Galaxy S line-up: With four unique premium options, including the 5G model, the new Galaxy S10 range is engineered to deliver next-generation features in display, camera and next-level performance.
- The reinforced mid-tier portfolio with the new Galaxy A series: Galaxy A50 and A30 offer innovations to essential features with high specifications. Designed for the way we connect today, the new line-up offers a range of variants to welcome an even more diverse range of consumers into the Galaxy family.
- Balanced and connected living with new Galaxy wearables: Samsung expands its Galaxy ecosystem with the Galaxy Watch Active and Galaxy Buds. Built for the health-focused consumers, these wearables put the style in healthy lifestyle.
- The versatile Galaxy Tab S5e: The Tab S5e is a new super slim, light and sleek Galaxy tablet designed with powerful entertainment features packed into a stylish and affordable device, which features Bixby for the first time in a tablet.
Demonstrating Real-World 5G Scenarios Unlocked by Samsung Commercial Solutions
Leveraging its commercially-proven 5G leadership, Samsung will present multiple live demonstrations to show real-world 5G experiences:
- 5G NR live demonstration with Samsung network and smartphone using 3.5GHz and 28GHz bands: A mobile edge cloud game on the company’s first 5G smartphone will be demonstrated live, by being connected to Samsung’s live 5G network solutions. In addition, 5G Multi-user MIMO will be demonstrated.
- First live 5G broadcast at MWC19: The first live broadcasting of GSMA ‘Mobile World Live TV’ using Samsung’s 5G network solutions at Broadcast Village, Gran Via. It will broadcast live throughout the venue and to 280 hotels in Barcelona during the show.
- Live demonstration of 5G-powered technology for the industry: Samsung, Cisco and Orange Spain will demonstrate diverse 5G-powered use cases to show how low latency and high speed of 5G technology can be applied for the industry at Orange booth (Hall3 3K10).
- Samsung & Zhilabs’ automated 5G network solutions: Samsung will demonstrate live AI-based 5G network management solutions with Zhilabs, acquired by Samsung through acquisition in October 2018. It helps operators to optimize 5G network performance automatically.
Next Generation 5G Chipsets
In addition, Samsung will show its new next generation 5G Radio Frequency (RF) chipsets, supporting 28GHz and 39GHz. Using these new RF chipsets, Samsung 5G base stations will be approximately 25 percent smaller, lighter and less power consuming compared to previous iterations.
5G base stations use almost one thousand antennas and several radio frequency integrated circuits (RFIC) to utilize mmWave spectrum. With this next-generation chipset, Samsung helps improve network equipment performance through decreased noise levels, and improvement in the linearity characteristics of the RF power amplifier.
“We at Samsung have combined our expertise in being one of the early innovators in 5G commercial services – above and below 6GHz bands to date and this ground-breaking leadership led us to achieve over 36,000 5G base station shipments as of February 2019,” said Paul Kyungwhoon Cheun, Executive Vice President and Head of Networks Business at Samsung Electronics. “Being the only company in the world to deploy and provide 5G end-to-end solutions in the U.S. and Korea, we will continue to advance our innovative endeavors and push the boundaries in 5G technology.”
Samsung’s portfolio of chips includes the Exynos Modem 5100, fully compliant with the 3GPP 5G NR standard to support new spectrums including below and above 6GHz for faster data speeds up to 6Gbps.Their innovative capabilities and the technological innovations are fully demonstrated through the range of 5G products.
Visit Samsung at MWC19
To gain first-hand experience and to see live demonstrations of Samsung’s end-to-end 5G solutions, attendees can visit the official Samsung booth located in Hall 3 and the Samsung network booth in Hall 2 Stand 2M20 (invitational-only).
- Breezeline Stream TV launches in Pennsylvania
- SES-18 and SES-19 C-band satellites for the U.S. successfully launched
- OTT TV revenues in Western Europe to reach $45 billion by 2028
- DVB publishes updated Multicast ABR specification and guidelines
- Channel 4 adds Xandr to its digital ad-buying suite
- Mola boosts ABR streaming quality with Broadpeak