5G (LTE, 4G, 3G) Mobile Broadband News
5G Broadcast and DTT can share UHF band and broadcast infrastructure
Sep 20, 2021 – Two new EBU reports conclude that a 5G Broadcast system could be safely introduced alongside DTT in the UHF band, and that broadcast towers could be used to enhance coverage and minimise the cost of roll-out.
News categories: EBU, 5G, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Europe, Terrestrial, Worldwide
5G FWA to exceed 58 million subscriptions in 2026
Aug 11, 2021 – According to ABI Research, 5G Fixed Wireless Access (FWA) will be the fastest-growing residential broadband segment increasing at a CAGR of 71% to exceed 58 million subscribers by 2026.
News categories: ABI Research, Khin Sandi Lynn, 5G, Broadband, Market Research, Worldwide
Synamedia acquires ContentArmor
Aug 9, 2021 – Synamedia has acquired ContentArmor, a developer of forensic watermarking solutions. Synamedia is now uniquely placed to meet video service providers' edge and 5G security demands.
News categories: Synamedia, ContentArmor, Paul Segre, Alain Durand, 5G, Digital TV, MandA, Watermarking, Worldwide
DVB approves commercial requirements for DVB-I over 5G
Jul 23, 2021 – The DVB Project has approved commercial requirements for DVB-I service support over 5G networks and systems. Work has already commenced in DVB's Technical Module to provide extensions to the relevant existing specifications.
News categories: DVB Project, 5G, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Worldwide
Ericsson publishes 2021 Mobility Report
Jun 16, 2021 – Ericsson (NASDAQ: ERIC) projects that 5G mobile subscriptions will exceed 580 million by the end of 2021. The forecast enhances the expectation that 5G will become the fastest adopted mobile generation.
News categories: Ericsson, Fredrik Jejdling, 5G, Market Research, Mobile, Worldwide
First football match broadcast over 5G in Portugal
Jun 9, 2021 – TVU Networks has announced that its technology was used in Portugal’s first football games broadcast using 5G. The demos took place at the country’s first 5G–enabled stadiums – Estádio da Luz and Estádio José Alvalade.
News categories: TVU Networks, NOS, Ibertelco, Rafael Castillo, Felipe Montesinos Gomes, 5G, Apps, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Portugal
5G mobile, smartphone accessory, and VR HMD shipments to grow rapidly in 2021
Jun 3, 2021 – According to ABI Research, most consumer devices and services, especially 5G smartphones, accessories, and VR Head-Mounted Displays (HMDs), will remain healthy in terms of shipments in 2021.
News categories: ABI Research, Eleftheria Kouri, 5G, Market Research, Smartphone, VR, Worldwide
CAST.ERA plans 5G-ATSC 3.0 launches in the U.S. and Korea
Apr 30, 2021 – CAST.ERA palns to introduce 5G-ATSC 3.0 technology to the U.S. and Korea by the end of this year. The technology will enable the broadcasting of UHD video with low-to-zero latency to TVs and mobile devices.
News categories: SK Telecom, Sinclair Broadcast, Yoon Kim, Del Parks, Kevin Gage, 5G, ATSC 3, Digital TV, Korea, USA
Nokia trials video over 5G with TV Azteca in Mexico
Mar 23, 2021 – Nokia has completed a trial with TV Azteca in Mexico of video transmission, using 5G standalone and edge computing. The trial explored latency reduction, as well as identifying improvements in efficiency, flexibility and cost.
News categories: Nokia, TV Azteca, Marcelo Entreconti, Pedro Manuel Carmona Ortiz, 5G, Digital TV, Mexico
- Evoca expands to Denver with Altitude Sports
- European Parliament agrees Digital Services Act (DSA) proposal
- Worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 25.1% in 2021
- MPEG LA offers one-stop license for ATSC 3.0
- discovery+ now available on LG Smart TVs in Canada
- SLING TV comes to VIZIO SmartCast platform
- VideoAI from CTS automates video content metadata generation
- Irdeto brings Server Side Ad Insertion solution to market
- Five million Brits spending full working day on streaming sites
- Breezeline launches cloud-based TV service
- ATSC 3.0 technologies selected for Brazil's TV 3.0 system
- European Audiovisual Observatory publishes report on media ownership in Europe
- MPEG-H selected as audio system for Brazil's TV 3.0 Project
- Altice partners with Ampersand to sell addressable ad inventory
- Cgates goes live with Synamedia video network solutions
- Video Solutions AG launches AVOD channels with Amagi
- Netflix shows signs of slowing in the U.S.
- A-LIVE partners with Minerva to offer fans NFTs of music concert
- Pay TV revenues in the MENA region to decline by $1.5bn
- ViacomCBS migrates from satellite to IP content distribution with CommScope