Five million fewer pay TV subscribers for Eastern Europe in 2026Friday, March 26th, 2021
Eastern Europe to add six million digital pay TV subs
Eastern Europe will lose nearly 5 million pay TV subscribers between 2020 and 2026 to take the total to 78.18 million. Not great – but not as bad as the US.
Simon Murray, Principal Analyst at Digital TV Research, said: “Most of the remaining analog cable TV subscribers are paying very little to receive very little. These homes are reluctant or unable to upgrade to more expensive digital pay TV.”
There were still 12.6 million analog cable subscribers by end-2020.
The number of digital pay TV subscribers will increase by nearly 6 million between 2020 and 2026 to 76 million.
Pay TV will be taken by 63% of the region’s TV homes in 2026; down from 66% in 2020. Digital pay TV penetration will climb from 56% to 62% over the same period.
Links: Digital TV Research
- Bitmovin and MainStreaming partner to deliver broadcast-quality video streams
- New products and more countries for Amazon-built TV range
- Pay TV subscribers in Eastern Europe to fall to 73 million in 2028
- VIZIO selects Whip Media for WatchFree+ ad revenue reporting
- Qwilt partners with Telefónica to provide CDN services in Spain
- Ateme launches 'audience-aware' streaming solution