New DS2 powerline chipsets to provide four times faster transmission speeds than standard wirelessTuesday, September 9th, 2008
- New features to deliver 99 per cent home network coverage
- Upgrades enable service providers like BT, Portugal Telecom and Telefónica to offer affordable and fully self-installable IPTV
- DS2 to exhibit enhancements in Hall 4, Stand C39 at IBC2008, RAI Centre Amsterdam, September 12th-15th
VALENCIA, Spain — DS2, the leading technology innovator and global supplier of high-speed powerline communications technology, has developed major new features for its 200Mbps powerline communications chipsets to enable four times faster transmission speeds than standard wireless networks. It will showcase how these new upgrades support commercial IPTV services and provide 99 per cent home network coverage at this year’s IBC event in Amsterdam, September 12th-15th.
At the show, DS2 will also demonstrate some of the benefits that service providers, such as BT, Portugal Telecom and Telefónica are able to offer their customers thanks to DS2 technology. These include affordable IPTV services that are fully installable by the consumer in less than an hour. DS2’s powerline adapters plug directly into existing electrical wiring, eliminating installation calls and truck roll costs for service providers – savings that are also achieved by the customer.
“Choosing the right technology that enables fully-interoperable IPTV home networks is the final frontier for service providers,” comments Victor Dominguez, VP Sales at DS2. “To win and maintain customers, service providers must ensure that the IPTV service is delivered to all terminal devices in the home, which now include telephones, gateways, TV sets, set-top boxes, whole-home DVRs, gaming consoles, and PCs.
“We believe that it is important that service and Internet providers meet the growing bandwidth requirements. DS2 is addressing this through fully backward interoperable 3rd generation powerline technology that will provide throughput speeds of 400Mbps,” concludes Victor Dominguez.
At IBC 2008, DS2 will also demonstrate full interoperability between its various powerline chipset technologies, including its 100 Mbps Montgó chipset for audio and Internet application and its 200Mbps Aitana chipset for multimedia applications.
Key new features of DS2’s 200Mbps Powerline Communications chipsets that it will exhibit at the show are:
- Automatic multi-cast capabilities that enable efficient management of simultaneous IPTV video channels
- On-chip support for a suite of DSL Forum standards, known as TR069, to support remote network management,
- Complete LLTD protocol integration with Windows Vista users.