78% of U.S. legacy pay TV subscribers have TV Everywhere accessThursday, December 11th, 2014
TDG: 78% of Legacy Pay-TV Subscribers Have Broad TVE Access
- Availability of TDG ‘Top 15′ Networks via Authenticated TVE Up 30% Year-over-Year
PLANO, TX — According to a new report from TDG, TV Everywhere Deployment among Top US Operators and Networks, 2014, nearly eight in ten legacy pay-TV subscribers have access to authenticated TVE services from most of the major networks.
“Today some 74 million households have access to ‘TV Everywhere’ programs from the ‘Top 15′ networks that TDG monitors,” said Bill Niemeyer, TDG senior analyst and author of the new report. “This represents a 30% increase from October 2013.”
Niemeyer notes that the value of expanded TVE offerings is diminished by the delay in getting ‘TV-style’ OTT audience measurement into market. This in turn delays wider promotion of TVE by networks, which are rightly concerned about monetizing this new distribution channel.
“The reach of TVE is finally where it needs to be,” says Niemeyer. “The next step is monetizing the content in such a way that networks are comfortable distributing their best, most recent content online to authenticated viewers.”
Despite the notable progress since TVE services were first released, there remains significant work to be done, particularly in regard to measurement and monetization. It is critical for TV networks and multichannel TV operators to finish this work and bring fully-realized TVE to market. Both operators and networks have an interest in seeing this vision through, especially if they wish to survive (much less thrive) in the new quantum video universe.
TV Everywhere Deployment among Top U.S. Operators and Networks, 2014 provides an appraisal of recent developments and key trends impacting TVE including:
- A quantized analysis of TVE rollout based on TDG’s October 2014 review of the availability of TVE services of the “Top 15″ TV networks;
- A comparison of new findings to data from TDG’s October 2013 review;
- An analysis of the factors impacting the future of TVE, including the remaining business issues such as monetization and promotion; and
- The potential impact of new standalone OTT network offerings and the emergence of virtual MVPD services from Sony, DirecTV, and others.
TDG’s new report is now available for public purchase by contacting our sales team at [email protected] or 469-287-8050.