Smart TVs top U.S. list of preferred TV streaming platformsWednesday, January 27th, 2016
TDG: Smart TVs Top List of Preferred TV Streaming Platforms
- Research Finds that a Third of OTT TV Users Prefer Smart TVs over Other Platforms
PLANO, TX — Despite the widespread availability of inexpensive ancillary TV streaming devices, new TDG research finds that 32% of OTT TV Users prefer having the native connectivity of a smart TV. This is according to data featured in TDG’s Video Behavior in the Age of Quantum Media, a survey of 2,000 US adult broadband users, 60% of which use an over-the-top (OTT) streaming service on a home television.
When asked which TV streaming platform they prefer, 32% of OTT TV Users selected their smart TV. Interestingly, this is pretty much equal to the penetration of smart TVs in general.
Game consoles followed second, selected by 25% of OTT TV Users, while Internet set-top boxes were preferred by 17%. Streaming sticks and Blu-ray players were selected by 10% of OTT TV Users.
Why do smart TVs top the list? According to Michael Greeson, Director of Research at TDG, this likely boils down to ease of use. “With smart TVs, viewers are not required to manually switch inputs from the TV to another device or pick up a different remote in order to access their favorite streaming apps and programs.”
TDG’s Video Behavior in the Age of Quantum Media examines in detail the viewing habits of adult broadband users across multiple touch points, be it live or on-demand, legacy, or OTT. For more information about this project, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 469-287-8050.
- VIZIO selects Whip Media for WatchFree+ ad revenue reporting
- Qwilt partners with Telefónica to provide CDN services in Spain
- Ateme launches 'audience-aware' streaming solution
- SAPEC to develop encoder for first live 8K DTT broadcast
- Big Media launches The New Frontier channel with VlogBox
- Bedrock expands 6play max availability to more connected devices