Pay TV subscribers hit 1.05 billion worldwideTuesday, September 26th, 2017
Global Pay TV subscriber reached 1.05 billion in Q2 2017
According to the latest data published by Dataxis for the second quarter of 2017, the global Pay TV subscribers reached 1.05 billion after crossing the one billion marks for the year ending 2016. Based on Dataxis quarterly Pay TV subscriber data, 60 million Pay TV subscribers were added between the second quarter of 2016 and the second quarter of 2017 reaching 1.05 billion subscribers.
Most of the growth is coming from IPTV and linear OTT with quarter on quarter growth of 24% and 44% respectively, although Linear OTT is growing but it represents only 1% of the total Pay TV market globally. Cable TV is showing a negative growth while DTH and DTT are stagnant.
Asia-Pacific with 8% quarter on quarter growth, is among the highest growing pay TV market in terms of subscribers, especially China and India together have contributed 48% of the pay TV subscribers out of total global numbers for the second quarter of 2017. Apart from North America showing negative growth, all other regions have grown modestly between Q2 2016 and Q2 2017, showing a growth rate of 1% to 4% quarter on quarter for pay TV subscribers.
- Tenstorrent to build AI and RISC-V chiplets with LG for Smart TVs
- DISH brings its linear TV to the digital ad marketplace
- health tv launches first FAST channel with Amagi
- Number of UK SVOD homes falls in 1Q 2023
- inext signs Moldova distribution contract with DIGIMAX
- EL PAIS begins live broadcasts on its FAST channel with The Channel Store