ONE Media 3.0 and Saankhya Labs to develop 5G broadcast offload platformWednesday, July 24th, 2019
ONE Media 3.0 and Saankhya Labs Agree to 5G Broadcast/Broadband Cooperative ‘Direct to Mobile’ Network Development
- New cooperative network will relieve mobile network congestion with dynamic offload of OTT and live content to “one-to-many” broadcast (OTA and DTT) networks
BALTIMORE and BENGALURU — ONE Media 3.0, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: SBGI), today announced an agreement with Saankhya Labs, a leader in the development of wireless systems and cognitive Software Defined Radio (SDR) solutions, to accelerate the development of a 5G Next Generation Broadcast Offload Platform.
Under the Agreement, Saankhya Labs is developing an end-to-end cooperative network platform including radio nodes and mobile end user devices. The platform will enable 4G and 5G wireless operators to offload Over-the-Top (OTT) and live content dynamically on to ‘one-to-many’ broadcast Digital Terrestrial Transmission (DTT) networks. This platform sits at the center of 5G convergence.
This creates many ‘firsts’ in DTT innovation:
- ‘Cellularizing’ broadcast architecture to enable indoor reception of DTT with mobile and portable devices
- Dramatically improving DTT spectrum utilization, providing more bits/higher robustness through spectrum reuse
- Introducing artificial intelligence (AI)-based analytic engines to provision and directly offload traffic from congested 4G/5G networks
- Providing content delivery networks (CDN) with significant improvement in the streaming experience by moving OTT traffic to the broadcast platform
- Enabling hyper-localization of broadcast content (video/audio services, datacasting, advertising, emergency alerts)
Demonstrations of the 5G-related components of this new cooperative network have been exhibited at CES2019, Mobile World Congress Barcelona 2019 and NAB Show 2019. The first phase of product and system development will establish real-world proof-of-concept (PoC) deployments in India and the United States.
“Broadcasters have a critical seat at the 5G table. This work and product development will provide a ‘level set’ against expectations for broadcast services that are embraced by the 3GPP 5G standard,” said Mark Aitken, President, ONE Media 3.0. “These first deployments will elevate understanding of the cooperative role NextGen (ATSC 3.0) broadcast can play to make 5G networks highly efficient Broadcast/Broadband convergent networks. The ‘Direct to Mobile’ focus of this activity will leverage the one-to-many efficiencies of broadcast in a new topology that can provide high-reliability and large bandwidth solutions and make them available to the competitive marketplace.”
“Saankhya is excited to expand its partnership with ONE Media and Sinclair to build an end-to-end solution that transforms the delivery and consumption of both linear and non-linear video. Broadcast video networks are essentially ‘constant quality’ networks compared to the current ‘best effort’ unicast mobile networks, especially for video delivery. Our Direct-to-Mobile solution provides a new tool combining broadcast and OTT content over a new video distribution platform. We are convinced that OTT content players and mobile network operators will take full advantage of this unique video delivery solution,” said Parag Naik, CEO of Saankhya Labs.