Harmonic to Debut Internet and Mobile TV Solution Integrated with Leading Set-Top Boxes and Mobile DevicesMonday, September 8th, 2008
First Demonstration at IBC 2008 Incorporates Technology from Harmonic, ADB, Amino, PeerTV and Stream Group
SUNNYVALE, Calif. — Harmonic Inc. (NASDAQ:HLIT) today announced that at IBC 2008 stand #1.C61, taking place in Amsterdam from September 12-16, Harmonic will demonstrate an innovative and versatile new solution for delivery of video content over the Internet (“over-the-top”) to a variety of devices, including television sets, PCs, personal media players and mobile devices. This end-to-end demonstration includes technologies from Harmonic, Advanced Digital Broadcast S.A (ADB), Amino, PeerTV and Stream Group, and encompasses encoding, transcoding, streaming, middleware and client devices including the Nokia N95 mobile phone.
The ability to deliver any video content to any device, in real time or on demand, is quickly becoming a critical requirement for video service providers to remain competitive. The flexibility of IP technology is a key enabler for a multi-screen video experience including advanced Internet TV and mobile video services. For several years, Harmonic has led the industry in developing and deploying all-IP video delivery solutions, including the world’s first all-IP headend solution, and compression, file-based and real-time transcoding, statistical multiplexing and video stream processing products with native IP support.
“In addition to delivering a high quality Internet video experience on the PC, we believe that the ability to bring Internet content to the TV and deliver high quality mobile video are important value-add services for our customers,” said Thierry Fautier, Director of Telco Solutions for Harmonic Inc. “Our demonstration at IBC 2008, in conjunction with other industry leaders in this emerging space, brings together many of the key aspects service providers need to put a compelling Internet and mobile TV service in place, and makes a converged ‘any-to-any’ video experience a reality.”
Integrated with Harmonic’s market-leading encoders and a new transcoding solution to be introduced at IBC, the demonstration features solutions from:
- ADB (stand #4.B48): Windows Media and Flash content received directly from the Internet on an IPTV STB will be displayed on TV, using ADB’s 3800/10 series set-top box
- Amino (stand #5.B40): Internet streaming using the AmiNET125 multi-codec Set-Top Box will be displayed on TV
- PeerTV: The PeerStation, an affordable, extremely flexible Internet TV set-top can transform any web page in real-time for display in a TV-friendly format
- Stream Group: The Solocoo iTV middleware platform from Stream Group utilizes an IP/open Internet architecture to bring a seamless mix of broadcast channels and Internet content to consumers
- Nokia: Mobile video will be encoded using Harmonic products and streamed in H.264 baseline format over a WiFi network to a Nokia N95 mobile phone
Harmonic’s solutions for Internet TV and mobile video delivery–including the DiviCom® encoders, MediaPrism™ content preparation suite, Rhozet™ universal transcoding, ProStream™ stream processing and transcoding, StreamLiner® 2000 for real-time streaming and progressive download delivery, and NMX Digital Service Manager™–can be integrated with the existing broadcast and on-demand video infrastructure, providing operators with a cost-effective and scalable architecture for multi-screen video delivery.