Africa pay TV to grow to 57 million subscribers by 2028Monday, January 9th, 2023
Africa to reach 57 million pay TV subs
About 16 million pay TV subscribers will be added in Africa between 2022 and 2028 to take the total to 57 million.
Subscriber numbers will climb by 38% over this period, but pay TV revenues will rise by only 29% – indicating that subscribers will pay less. Pay TV revenues will reach $6.44 billion by 2028, up from $4.99 billion on 2022.
Three groups account for 89% of Africa’s pay TV subscribers. Multichoice, through its DStv and GOtv platforms, will continue to lead – with 21 million subscribers expected by 2028. StarTimes/StarSat (19 million) and Canal Plus/Easy TV (11 million) will follow.
Simon Murray, Principal Analyst at Digital TV Research, said: “No new major players will start. Instead, these three operators will battle for supremacy – often by cutting prices.”
Links: Digital TV Research
- Integral Ad Science ad verification goes live with Netflix
- DoubleVerify media quality measurement now available to Netflix advertisers
- EU clears acquisition of VOO and Brutélé by Orange, subject to conditions
- Liberty Global Belgium to launch takeover bid for Telenet Group Holding
- Proximus extends partnership with ThinkAnalytics
- Allente launches Google TV device powered by 3SS and SEI Robotics