Digital TV News: Department of Communications
South Africa to install first subsidised STBs on December 17th
Dec 9, 2015 – South Africa's Communications Minister will, as part of the country's Broadcasting Digital Migration project, install the first batch of government subsidised set-top boxes (STBs) in households in Keimoes in the Northern Cape on December 17th.
News categories: Department of Communications, Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
Digital migration to kick-off in South Africa's Northern Cape
Sep 29, 2015 – South Africa's Minister of Communications has announced that the registration process for subsidised set-top-boxes will begin at the Square Kilometre Array community of Keimoes, Kai Garib Municipality, Northern Cape on the 2nd of October 2015.
News categories: Ministry of Communications, Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa updates Broadcasting Digital Migration Policy
Mar 19, 2015 – South Africa's Department of Communications (DoC) has gazetted the Amendment of the Broadcasting Digital Migration Policy issued under Government Gazette No 31408 on 8 September 2008.
News categories: Department of Communications, Content Protection, Digital TV, Regulation, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa will not switch-off analogue TV by June 17th
Mar 8, 2015 – South Africa's Department of Communications has issued a new Broadcasting Digital Migration policy. A set-top box control system will be required only to encourage local manufacturing. The country will not meet the ITU deadline for the switch-off of analogue television.
News categories: Department of Communications, Digital TV, Regulation, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa to provide free STBs to 5 million poor households
Mar 5, 2015 – South Africa's government has said that it will provide free STBs to more than 5 million poor television household owners. The priority will be given to those households in the border region areas of the country.
News categories: Department of Communications, Conditional Access, Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
Fiji plans National Platform for conversion to digital TV
Aug 3, 2014 – At the the 60th anniversary celebrations of the Fiji Broadcasting Corporation (FBC), Fiji's Prime Minister announced plans for a National Digital Television Platform as part of the country's conversion to digital television broadcasting.
News categories: Fiji Broadcasting Corporation, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Melanesia, Terrestrial
Commercial DTT to launch in South Africa in December
Oct 3, 2012 – At South Africa's Proof of Concept launch of Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT), the country's Minister of Communications said that the commercial launch of DTT will take place in December this year.
News categories: Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa sets DTT launch date
Aug 21, 2012 – The first phase of the launch of digital terrestrial television (DTT) in South Africa is set for 26 and 27 September 2012, the Department of Communications (DoC) recently told the country's Select Committee on Labour and Public Enterprises.
News categories: Digital TV, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa launches Set-Top Box Standard
Jun 6, 2012 – South Africa's Department of Communications and Bureau of Standards launched the Set-Top Box (STB) decoder standard (SANS862:2012) for free-to-air digital terrestrial television at the inaugural ICT Indaba taking place from 5-7 June 2012.
News categories: Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
- BluTV DTH launches in Brazil on EUTELSAT 65 West A
- OTT TV and video revenues at $83 billion in 2019
- 41.4% of TVs in Latin America are Smart
- DISH Network pay TV subscribers down 51,000 in 2Q 2020
- Pirate subscription TV services now a billion-dollar U.S. industry
- PAOK FC OTT platform built with Insys Sport on AWS
- SLING TV in-app guide integrates local OTA channels on LG Smart TVs
- Conviva releases State of Streaming Q2 report
- Stay-at-home providing springboard for French SVOD
- Survata announces enhanced CTV measurement suite
- Ofcom releases Media Nations 2020 report
- RADIO.COM expands connected TV footprint with Vewd
- NAGRA multi-DRM selected for Grupo Express OTT service in Argentina
- V-Nova and NETINT collaborate on MPEG-5 LCEVC transcoding
- ViacomCBS to launch connected video ad platform
- Bell Canada releases Android TV 4K HDR streaming box
- ORS chooses 3SS to deliver simpliTV service in Austria
- Mongolia's Skymedia upgrades to Minerva 10
- Express-80 and Express-103 satellites launched
- INVIDI extends addressable TV partnership with Tata Elxsi