Digital TV News: Horowitz
Streaming eclipses traditional TV among U.S. adult streamers
Sep 25, 2019 – The share of U.S. adult TV viewers who stream at least some of their TV content has plateaued at around 65%, according to Horowitz Research. Among the 2 in 3 adult Americans who stream, however, there is a growing reliance on streamed content.
News categories: Horowitz Research, Adriana Waterston, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
U.S. STB energy agreement savings top $5 billion
Aug 13, 2019 – Consumers saved approximately $1.6 billion in energy costs in 2018 alone as a result of the voluntary set-top box energy conservation agreement among pay-TV providers, manufacturers, energy efficiency advocates and the CTA and NCTA.
News categories: Consumer Technology Association, NCTA, Natural Resources Defense Council, Doug Johnson, Neal Goldberg, Noah Horowitz, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, USA
Most smart speakers and video streamers are energy efficient
Aug 12, 2019 – Most of the more than 100 million smart speakers and video streaming devices installed in America’s homes are quite energy efficient, the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) has said in the first independent report on their electricity use.
News categories: NRDC, Noah Horowitz, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart Home, USA
One-third of U.S. TV content viewers report owning an antenna
Apr 24, 2019 – The latest data from Horowitz Research reveal that while TV content viewers in the U.S. are experimenting with new streaming services like YouTube TV, Sling TV, and others, a traditional viewing technology is re-emerging: antennas.
News categories: Horowitz Research, Stephanie Wong, Adriana Waterston, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Terrestrial, USA
21st Century Fox invests $100m in social broadcasting platform Caffeine
Sep 5, 2018 – 21st Century Fox (21CF) and Caffeine have announced that 21CF has led a round of funding for social broadcasting platform, Caffeine. 21CF has invested a combined $100 million in Caffeine and a newly formed venture called Caffeine Studios.
News categories: 21st Century Fox, Caffeine, Lachlan Murdoch, Ben Keighran, Digital TV, OTT, Social TV, Venture Capital, Worldwide
U.S. STB energy efficiency agreement saves $3.5 billion
Aug 9, 2018 – Consumers have saved $3.5 billion, and more than 20 million metric tons of CO2 emissions have been avoided as a result of the voluntary set-top box energy conservation agreement among pay-TV providers, manufacturers and energy efficiency advocates, according to D+R International.
News categories: CTA, ACEEE, NRDC, NCTA, D+R International, Doug Johnson, Jennifer Amann, Noah Horowitz, Neal Goldberg, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Set Top Box, USA
Competition from dMVPDs puts new spin on U.S. market for pay TV subs
Jun 6, 2018 – Three-quarters (76%) of U.S. TV content viewers report subscribing to a traditional pay TV—cable, satellite, or telco—service, down from 86% in 2014, reveals the latest data from Horowitz Research’s State of Pay TV, OTT and SVOD report.
News categories: Horowitz Research, Adriana Waterston, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, OTT, Satellite, USA, UX
Horowitz to release State of dMVPDs study
Jun 27, 2017 – Today, 70% of U.S. TV viewers 18+ stream at least some of the content they watch, according to Horowitz Research. The introduction of Hulu with Live TV and YouTube TV signal a new era of competition to traditional cable, satellite, and fiber optic TV providers.
News categories: Horowitz, Adriana Waterston, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
Streaming far surpasses VOD as the go-to source for on demand content
Apr 27, 2017 – The rise of streaming is being driven largely by the increase of streaming to the TV set, reveals the latest data from Horowitz Research’s State of Pay TV, OTT and SVOD study released to clients last week.
News categories: Horowitz Research, Stephanie Wong, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, USA
- 2020 semiconductor market to decline 0.9% due to coronavirus
- Over 11,000 TV channels were available in Europe in 2019
- Disney+ already at 50 million subscribers
- Crave now available on Roku devices in Canada
- Vodafone selects Synamedia for global cloud TV platform
- Neustar and iSpot.tv unify TV and digital attribution
- Comscore and JW Player partner on contextual targeting for video advertising
- Taiwan Broadband Communications adds HBO GO
- AR/VR IC market to grow to $7.75bn by 2026 at 23.3% CAGR
- 24i powers streaming video experience for Topic
- Roku launches The Roku Channel in the UK
- Verimatrix integrates server-side watermarking with Akamai
- SVOD and T-VOD drive Korean market to new levels
- HbbTV releases HbbTV Conformance Test Suite v2020-1
- NZ: Netflix, Lightbox and Prime Video double viewership in 2019
- KT to build IPTV service for 3BB TV in Thailand
- 10 million more digital pay TV subscribers for Eastern Europe by 2025
- US: 44% with a vMVPD switched from a traditional pay TV service
- BritBox app launches on LG Smart TVs
- Contentos integrates Theta Network decentralized video delivery for COS.tv