Digital TV News: Bureau of Indian Standards
New BIS standard for TV receivers requires built in satellite tuner
Jan 9, 2023 – The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) has published a standard for TV receivers, enabling satellite TV reception without the need for a set-top box. Doordarshan is in the process of phasing out analog transmission, but will continue to broadcast on satellite.
News categories: Bureau of Indian Standards, Digital TV, India, Regulation, Satellite, Smart TV
TRAI issues recommendations on set-top box interoperability
Apr 10, 2020 – The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has released recommendations that all set-top-boxes in India must support technical interoperability in principle, i.e. every STB provided to a consumer must be interoperable.
News categories: Telecom Regulatory Authority of India, CAM, Digital TV, India, Regulation, Set Top Box
India's set-top box market CAGR to be 29.3% to 2015
Feb 24, 2014 – The introduction of HD channels and Smart TVs in India has led to an increase in digital TV viewing which in turn will hike the growth of the Set top box (STB) market according to Frost & Sullivan.
News categories: Frost & Sullivan, Niju V, Cable TV, Digital TV, India, Market Research, Satellite, Set Top Box
India - Ministry moves on satellite set-top box interoperability
Oct 20, 2008 – The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (I&B) has asked the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) to draft norms for advanced DTH set-top boxes, including related to interoperability of the boxes.
News categories: Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Bureau of Indian Standards, India, Regulation, Satellite, Set Top Box
TRAI provides its recommendations on certain issues relating to Direct to Home (DTH) service
Jan 30, 2008 – The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India has sent its recommendations to the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting on certain issues relating to Direct to Home (DTH) service.
News categories: Telecom Regulatory Authority of India, Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), Digital TV, India, Regulation, Satellite, Set Top Box
- Comedy most pirated genre of entertainment
- Viaccess-Orca and Broadpeak achieve 3-second latency for live sports streaming
- Globecast powers distribution of 2022 World Cup for New World TV
- Ateme reduces latency to under four seconds for Cyta's OTT channels
- Digiturk deploys Irdeto 360 Video Security Services
- ThinkAnalytics unveils new customer wins
- Netgem to initiate sale of activities other than TV streaming
- Synamedia delivers low latency World Cup streaming for Cellcom
- NEXTGEN TV broadcasting begins in Boston
- SkyShowtime announces line-up ahead of launches in Central & Eastern Europe
- Global online video subscriptions to reach 1.7bn in 2023
- BARB launches API giving clients direct access to viewing data
- Roku makes deal with Warner Bros. Discovery for The Roku Channel
- Trinidad and Tobago selects ATSC 3.0 for DTT
- Faurecia-Aptoide and Catappult launch app distribution hub for cars
- 24i supports launch of Philips Hue Sync TV App
- J:COM deploys Qwilt Open Caching solution
- Breezeline Stream TV comes to Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio
- Sale of Millicom to Apollo Global Management and Claure Group in discussion
- Comcast cable video subscribers down 2.034 million in 2022