Digital TV News: SABC
SABC launches SABC+ streaming service
Nov 17, 2022 – The South African Broadcasting Corporation has launched its OTT platform, SABC+. The streaming app includes 19 radio stations and 3 TV channels as well its sports and 24-hour news channels.
News categories: SABC, Madoda Mxakwe, Apps, Digital TV, Smart TV, South Africa, Streaming
South Africa to switch-off analogue TV on March 31st
Feb 28, 2022 – South Africa's Minister of Communications and Digital Technologies has determined that the 31st of March 2022 will be the date for the final switch-off of the analogue TV and the end of dual illumination in the country.
News categories: Department of Communications and Digital Technologies, Digital TV, South Africa, Terrestrial
South African government provides update on analogue switch-off
Nov 25, 2021 – South Africa managed to conclude analogue Switch-off in the Free-State province at the end of October and on 26th November 2021 the switch-off of the last SABC analogue site in the Northern-Cape in Upington will be completed.
News categories: Communications and Digital Technologies, Digital TV, South Africa, Terrestrial
South African TV households to grow 10% by 2018
Dec 9, 2015 – According to Dataxis, the total number of South African TV households will grow 10% from end-2015 to end-2018 as pay-DTH continues to grow and new pay services using DTT and IPTV come on stream.
News categories: Dataxis, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, South Africa, Terrestrial
Digital migration to kick-off in South Africa's Northern Cape
Sep 29, 2015 – South Africa's Minister of Communications has announced that the registration process for subsidised set-top-boxes will begin at the Square Kilometre Array community of Keimoes, Kai Garib Municipality, Northern Cape on the 2nd of October 2015.
News categories: Ministry of Communications, Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
ONTAPtv OTT VOD service launches in South Africa
Sep 16, 2015 – PCCW Global has announced the launch of ONTAPtv.com, an OTT VoD entertainment service for South Africa. With a selection of à la carte content packages, the service is available either using a browser or via Android and iOS apps.
News categories: PCCW, ONTAPtv.com, Marc Halbfinger, Lindsay Servian, Digital TV, Mobile, South Africa, Streaming
South Africa's OpenView HD now available on same satellite as DStv
Oct 6, 2014 – OpenView HD, South Africa’s first free-to-view DTH satellite television platform, will soon also be available on the same satellite dish used to receive DStv, Vivid and Freevision services.
News categories: Platco Digital, OpenView HD, Maxwell Nonge, Digital TV, Satellite, South Africa
South Africa's Cabinet issues statement on conditional access
Dec 5, 2013 – South Africa's Cabinet has decided that the use of a control system should not be mandatory. The STBs will, however, have a control system to protect Government’s investment in the subsidized STB market and the local electronics industry.
News categories: Conditional Access, Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
OpenView HD FTA DTH service launches in South Africa
Oct 16, 2013 – OpenView HD, Platco Digital’s free-to-air satellite TV platform, is operational and South African viewers can take advantage of an offering that requires nothing more than a one-off payment with no monthly subscription fee.
News categories: OpenView HD, Maxwell Nonge, Digital TV, Satellite, South Africa
- Prime Video heads Parks Associates list of top U.S. SVOD services
- VIDAA brings football to Google TV and Android TV
- Deloitte predicts ads on all streaming services
- Hybrid AVOD/SVOD to drive major subscription platforms
- Consumer VR shipments in China to approach 7 million units in 2026
- Tulix and WiseDV power Hollywire CTV channel on Samsung TV Plus
- Pluto TV debuts in Canada
- Disney Clean Room technology integrated with VideoAmp
- Smart TV shipments in India up 38% YoY in Q3 2022
- VR device shipments to bounce back in 2023
- Seven Network partners with Imagine Communications
- Fixed Wireless Access forecast to top 300 million connections in six years
- Breezeline expands fiber services in New Hampshire
- U.S. consumers watch over six hours of video per week on their mobiles
- Semiconductor market expected to decline slightly in 2023
- 6G-Datacast.tv offers datacasting protocol for ATSC 3.0
- Bedrock powers RTL streaming service in Hungary
- KONKA plans GCC region expansion
- Dyn Media chooses Deltatre to deliver end-to-end OTT service
- Globecast providing cloud playout and distribution for EarthxTV