VR (Virtual Reality) and Immersive Video News
AR/VR device shipments projected to reach 43.2 million units in 2025
Jul 23, 2020 – Total shipments of AR/VR devices are expected to reach 5.12 million units in 2020, according to TrendForce. The market is projected to have a compound annual growth rate of 53.1% from 2020 to 2025.
News categories: TrendForce, Jason Tsai, Digital TV, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
Viaccess-Orca 5G-compatible VR player deployed by PCCW Media
Jul 23, 2020 – Viaccess-Orca (VO) has announced that its secure video player, supporting the delivery of virtual reality (VR) and 8K video over 5G networks, has been deployed by PCCW Media for its new VR content.
News categories: Viaccess-Orca, PCCW, Philippe Lasry, Belinda Chan, 5G, Content Protection, Digital TV, Hong Kong, Media Player, VR
TiVo and University of Waterloo investigate 360° video on head-mounted devices
May 14, 2020 – TiVo (NASDAQ: TIVO) has announced a partnership with the University of Waterloo that will begin with a project investigating methods to enhance the user quality-of-experience for 360° omnidirectional video on head-mounted devices.
News categories: TiVo Corp, University of Waterloo, Arvin Patel, Dave Shull, Zhou Wang, Digital TV, USA, UX, VR
AR/VR IC market to grow to $7.75bn by 2026 at 23.3% CAGR
Apr 7, 2020 – According to Allied Market Research, the global AR/VR chip industry was estimated at $1.38 billion in 2018, and is expected to hit $7.76 billion by 2026, registering a CAGR of 23.3% from 2019 to 2026.
News categories: Allied Market Research, Market Research, Semiconductor, VR, Worldwide
YouVue launches 3D sharing platform
Dec 19, 2019 – YouVue has launched a 3D sharing platform that will provide immersive viewing on any device, anywhere in the world. Unlike other 3D offerings, YouVue streams photorealistic experiences from any 3D media source to be consumed on everyday mobile devices.
News categories: YouVue, Joe Mikhail, Conrad Burke, Digital TV, Mobile, VR, Worldwide
InterDigital releases report on streaming video delivery
Dec 18, 2019 – InterDigital (NASDAQ: IDCC) has released a study outlining how the advent of streaming media use cases like VR, AR and cloud gaming is increasingly pushing data boundaries, while edge computing, multicasting, and more efficient codecs present solutions to this video-driven future.
News categories: InterDigital, Laurent Depersin, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, VR, Worldwide
Ericsson ConsumerLab - Ten Hot Consumer Trends 2030
Dec 10, 2019 – According to the Ericsson (NASDAQ: ERIC) ConsumerLab Hot Consumer Trends report, consumers expect an array of beneficial services from connected technology interacting with our senses of sight, sound, taste, smell and touch to be a common reality by 2030.
News categories: Ericsson, Dr. Pernilla Jonsson, Dr. Michael Björn, Digital TV, Market Research, UX, VR, Worldwide
EE hosts 5G-powered multi-location augmented reality gig
Nov 28, 2019 – EE has treated commuters to an AR gig over 5G starring British band, Bastille. Bastille performed at Birmingham’s New Street Station, while fans in Liverpool and Edinburgh live streamed the performance using Nreal mixed reality glasses and the latest Samsung devices.
News categories: EE, Pete Jeavons, 5G, Digital TV, UK, VR
Worldwide spending on AR/VR expected to reach $18.8bn in 2020
Nov 27, 2019 – Worldwide spending on augmented reality and virtual reality (AR/VR) is forecast to be $18.8 billion in 2020, up 78.5% versus the $10.5 billion IDC expects will be spent in 2019. Continued strong growth is predicted for the 2019-2023 period.
News categories: IDC, Giulia Carosella, Marcus Torchia, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
- Roku launches OneView ad platform for Canada
- NEXTGEN TV launched on five local TV stations in St. Louis, MO
- Redbox signs distribution agreement with Vewd
- SpringServe first independent ad server to integrate with IRIS.TV
- Robust growth forecast for SVOD revenue in India
- Latest Vestel TVs certified for DTS:X immersive audio
- Wiztivi develops UI for Sagemcom Video Soundbox STB
- AlphaOTT partners with STI Telecom for OTT/IPTV headend services
- UEI providing voice-enabled remote for Astro's Ultra set-tops
- Ross Video withdraws from IBC 2021 exhibition
- Comcast brings XiOne streaming box to the U.S.
- Liberty Global to sell UPC Polska to iliad’s Play subsidiary
- Subscription fatigue in Australia? Not yet but on the way
- Sofia Digital working on a central service list registry for DVB-I
- Sony Pictures Networks India and Zee Entertainment negotiating merger
- Roku's Shopify app enables small business TV ad campaigns
- Americans move from bingeing on TV to social media in 2021
- VideoElephant makes 150 linear video channels available for licensing
- Android TV in 25% of advanced set-top boxes
- Pure TV launches in Ireland based on the Netgem TV platform