Latin America to top 100 million SVOD subscriptionsTuesday, September 1st, 2020
Latin America to top 100 million SVOD subscriptions
Latin America will have 100.35 million SVOD subscriptions by 2025; more than double the 42.15 million recorded at end-2019.
Source: Digital TV Research
Simon Murray, Principal Analyst at Digital TV Research, said: “Latin America will enjoy a wave of US-based platform launches over the next year. Disney+ will start in November. Hulu, HBO Max and ViacomCBS are all expected to start during 2021. These launches come despite poor economic conditions.”
Brazil will remain the market leader, with 36 million SVOD subscriptions forecast by 2025 – up by 20 million on 2019. Mexico will have 28 million gross SVOD subs by 2025, up by 16 million on 2019.
Long-established Netflix will continue to grow, but its dominance will decline. Netflix will have 47.4 million subscriptions by 2025; up from 31.4 million in 2019. Disney+ will grow rapidly following its November 2020 launch, with 25 million subs by 2025.
Links: Digital TV Research
- Breezeline Stream TV launches in Pennsylvania
- SES-18 and SES-19 C-band satellites for the U.S. successfully launched
- OTT TV revenues in Western Europe to reach $45 billion by 2028
- DVB publishes updated Multicast ABR specification and guidelines
- Channel 4 adds Xandr to its digital ad-buying suite
- Mola boosts ABR streaming quality with Broadpeak