SVOD subscriptions in Africa to triple by 2027Thursday, August 18th, 2022
Africa SVOD subscriptions to triple
Africa will have 13.64 million paying SVOD subscriptions by 2027, up from 4.90 million at end-2021. Only 6.6% of TV households will pay for at least one subscription by 2027 – up from 3.9% at end-2021.
Simon Murray, Principal Analyst at Digital TV Research, said: “As well as low broadband penetration and low disposable incomes, limited rollout by several global platforms restricts growth. Disney+ will only launch in South Africa and Nigeria. Paramount+ is only likely to start in South Africa. HBO Max will not be a standalone platform in Africa.”
Netflix will remain the SVOD market leader, with 6.41 million subscribers by 2027 – or 48% of the region’s total. Given its limited rollout, Disney+ will only have 1 million subscriptions by 2027. Amazon Prime will start in Nigeria and South Africa in 2023. We forecast 2.63 million Amazon Prime Video subscribers by 2027.
Links: Digital TV Research
- Irdeto ensures integrity of apps running on OSNtv
- Thales and Netskrt Systems collaborate on inflight VOD streaming
- Samsung chip to power Hyundai in-vehicle infotainment
- Radio Television Hong Kong selects Irdeto multi-DRM solution
- Spectrum Reach taps Beachfront for programmatic monetization of convergent TV
- Netgem enables multiscreen TV for ZEOP with new UI on Android TV