Digital TV News: Michael Greeson
Half of ad-supported Netflix subscribers find the ad load heavy
Apr 24, 2023 – Though Netflix's ad-supported tier averages less than 5 minutes of ads per hour, 49% of Basic with Ads subscribers found it to varying degrees heavy, with 17% seeing it as excessive, according to Aluma.
News categories: Aluma, Michael Greeson, Advertising, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
Smart TVs account for half of U.S. OTT TV viewing
Apr 3, 2023 – Research from Aluma Insights finds U.S. adult SVOD viewers spend half their streaming TV time watching on smart TVs, up from 31% in 2015, 2.5 times the contribution of streaming media players.
News categories: Aluma Insights, Michael Greeson, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Streaming, USA
Netflix, Hulu, Disney+ most essential for US streaming subscribers
Mar 14, 2023 – Research from Aluma Insights finds two-thirds of U.S. Netflix buyers view the service as indispensable, with more than half of subscribers considering Hulu and Disney+ to be essential.
News categories: Aluma, Michael Greeson, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
Perhaps live sports not so critical for pay-TV subscriber retention?
Oct 31, 2022 – According to Aluma, while 18% of U.S. pay-TV subscribers are moderately likely to cancel service if their favorite sport moved its live games exclusively to subscription streaming services, only 8% would 'definitely' cancel.
News categories: Aluma, Michael Greeson, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
Video services far down 'Cut List' but still impacted by inflation
Aug 24, 2022 – One-fourth of U.S. households have downgraded or cancelled a subscription streaming video (SVOD) or pay-TV service due to the rising costs of consumer goods, services, and housing, according to Aluma Insights.
News categories: Aluma Insights, Michael Greeson, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
A quarter of U.S. households subscribe to broadband but not Pay TV
Oct 20, 2021 – Research from TDG finds that the number of U.S. households subscribing to a broadband service but not a pay-TV service will grow from 38 million in 2020 to 54 million in 2025, up 42% in the five-year period.
News categories: TDG, Paul Hockenbury, Michael Greeson, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, Terrestrial, USA
Growth in Connected TV penetration slows in the U.S.
Sep 8, 2021 – According to TDG, the diffusion of internet-connected TVs (CTVs) in the U.S is slowing. At the same time, however, CTVs are reaching beyond the living room and master bedroom to other rooms of the home.
News categories: TDG, Michael Greeson, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Streaming, USA
58 million U.S. broadband households to be MVPD-free by 2025
Oct 14, 2020 – According to The Diffusion Group, by 2025 more than half of U.S. broadband households will live without an MVPD service. During this time, pay-TV services will lose 36% of their 2020 subscriber base.
News categories: The Diffusion Group, Michael Greeson, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
23% of U.S. vMVPD subscribers also use a legacy pay TV service
Jun 10, 2020 – Research from TDG finds that nearly one-fourth of virtual pay TV (vMVPD) households in the U.S. also subscribe to a traditional pay-TV service. Dual-service use peaked at 37% of vMVPD subscribers in 2018.
News categories: TDG, Michael Greeson, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
- STARZ domestic OTT subscribers up 700,000 in 1Q 2023
- New DIRECTV STREAM customers get priority access to Telly waiting list
- Insys Video Technologies simplifies video streaming with Bitmovin
- BeIN Media and Google Cloud announce media and broadcast collaboration
- Activated STBs grow to 3,166,461 for South Africa's Openview
- Singtel TV subscribers down 6,000 in 1Q 2023
- Orby Elevate selects EUTELSAT for DTH TV distribution in the US
- U.S. SVOD revenues to grow at a 6.3% CAGR over 2022-2027
- Netgem releases trading update
- IPTV to partially offset revenue losses in cable and DTH in Korea
- Player.pl available on Xbox consoles, powered by Redge Media
- CHiQ launches latest Google TV series in Europe
- Imagination launches GPU for smart home platforms
- BMW 5 Series to include TiVo video media platform
- Chopin launches streaming service in Poland with Nagra
- Airtel Digital TV subscribers down 39,000 in 1Q 2023
- HBO Max becomes Max
- Tele Columbus selects NAGRA as solution provider for PŸUR TV
- Astro adds WeTV to its Ultra Box
- Comcast introduces NOW TV in the U.S.