Global AVOD revenues to reach $56 billionThursday, June 27th, 2019
AVOD [advertising expenditure attributed to OTT TV episodes and movies] will more than double between 2018 and 2024 to reach $56 billion across 138 countries. Online TV and video advertising has been considerably boosted in recent years by the rapid growth in mobile advertising.
AVOD in the Asia Pacific region is long-established. It reached $10.73 billion by 2018 – or 49% of the global total. Despite more than doubling to $25.14 billion by 2024, Asia Pacific’s share will fall to 45% – revealing that other regions will grow quicker.
From the $34.42 billion additional revenues to be generated between 2018 and 2024, Asia Pacific will contribute $14.41 billion and North America $14.20 billion. All of the other regions will at least double their totals.
Simon Murray, Principal Analyst at Digital TV Research, said: “China is the largest AVOD country – commanding 36% of the 2018 global total, with $7.78 billion. Similar to much of Asia, most OTT viewing in China is on mobile phones to AVOD-supported platforms. China will still generate 29% of the global total by 2024 with $16.60 billion.”
Murray continued: “However, the US will become the AVOD leader by 2023. Several large platform launches are expected in the near future in the US. The US will more than triple its AVOD total between 2018 and 2024 to $19.23 billion – or 34% of the global total.”
- STARZ domestic OTT subscribers up 700,000 in 1Q 2023
- New DIRECTV STREAM customers get priority access to Telly waiting list
- Insys Video Technologies simplifies video streaming with Bitmovin
- BeIN Media and Google Cloud announce media and broadcast collaboration
- Activated STBs grow to 3,166,461 for South Africa's Openview
- Singtel TV subscribers down 6,000 in 1Q 2023