Digital TV News: ICASA
South Africa to switch-off analogue TV on March 31st
Feb 28, 2022 – South Africa's Minister of Communications and Digital Technologies has determined that the 31st of March 2022 will be the date for the final switch-off of the analogue TV and the end of dual illumination in the country.
News categories: Department of Communications and Digital Technologies, Digital TV, South Africa, Terrestrial
Skyworth's South Africa factory ships first 70,000 set-top boxes
Sep 7, 2015 – Skyworth (000810.SZ) has announced that its factory in Johannesburg - co-owned by local company BUA Africa - has successfully completed its first shipment, delivering a total of 70,000 set-top boxes across South Africa.
News categories: Skyworth, Angélique Boissy, Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa's digital TV transition 18 months from completion
Apr 17, 2015 – Speaking at the Southern African Digital Broadcasting Workshop, South Africa's Minister of Communications said that the country plans to implement its transition to digital broadcasting over the next 18 months.
News categories: Faith Muthambi, Digital TV, South Africa, Terrestrial
Siyaya awarded broadcasting licence in South Africa
Nov 19, 2014 – Motive Television has said that is has been informed by Siyaya Free To Air TV of South Africa that Siyaya has received an official letter from ICASA advising that Siyaya TV has fully met ICASA's licensing terms.
News categories: Motive Television, ICASA, Leonard M Fertig, Regulation, Satellite, South Africa
Commercial DTT to launch in South Africa in December
Oct 3, 2012 – At South Africa's Proof of Concept launch of Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT), the country's Minister of Communications said that the commercial launch of DTT will take place in December this year.
News categories: Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa publishes revised Draft DTT Regulations for consultation
Jul 13, 2012 – The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa has published a revised set of Draft Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) regulations for another round of public consultation. Stakeholders have until 30 July 2012 to submit their written submissions.
News categories: Independent Communications Authority of South Africa, Digital TV, Regulation, South Africa, Terrestrial
e.tv and Multichoice win mobile TV spectrum licences in South Africa
Sep 10, 2010 – The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA) has decided to grant the radio frequency spectrum licences for the purpose of providing mobile TV in the country on Multiplex 1 to e.tv (40%) and Multichoice (60%).
News categories: ICASA, Digital TV, Mobile, Regulation, South Africa
May 2010 launch for TopTV DTH in South Africa
Mar 18, 2010 – On Digital Media (ODM) is on the verge of introducing choice, flexibility and affordability to the multi-channel television market in South Africa under its brand of TopTV.
News categories: On Digital Media, Digital TV, Satellite, South Africa
ICASA issues IPTV regulation discussion document
Feb 16, 2010 – The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA) has announced its intention to develop a regulatory framework for IPTV. ICASA has issued a discussion document on the subject with feedback invited by March 26, 2010.
News categories: Independent Communications Authority of South Africa, IPTV, Regulation, South Africa
- América Móvil increases shareholding in Telekom Austria
- Tele Columbus taps Simply.TV for advanced metadata
- AOMedia offers spatial audio specification under royalty-free license
- TheViewPoint integrates with FreeWheel
- Australia to introduce 'prominence framework' for local broadcast services
- Telecom and pay-TV revenue in Hong Kong to grow at 1.1% CAGR
- Proximus optimises delivery of Pickx with Velocix Analytics
- Traditional US pay-TV services face continued decline
- Edgio adds player-independent video performance reports
- Flat panel display oversupply to continue into 2024
- Japan SVOD service revenue to reach $6 billion in 2027
- Ateme powers NT's sports video contribution in Asia and beyond
- Global TV shipments to fall below 197 million units in 2023
- WSTS revises semiconductor growth projections slightly upward
- Go Addressable becomes industry trade body
- NorDig releases IRD 3.2.1 and Test Plan 3.2.1 specs
- Improved tool helps ensure interoperability of DASH delivery
- Growth in global SVOD subscriptions to continue
- LG announces organizational restructuring
- HbbTV updates Operator Application specification