Digital TV News: National Association of Broadcasters
Cleveland field test shows ATSC 3.0 UHD HDR in a challenging urban environment
May 23, 2019 – In a field test conducted under the auspices of the NAB in Cleveland, OH, an engineering team of industry participants showed how ATSC 3.0 can enhance the technological performance and economic value of existing broadcast infrastructures.
News categories: Technicolor, National Association of Broadcasters, Alan Stein, Kelly Williams, ATSC, Content Distribution, Digital TV, USA
Dooya TV picks dotstudioPRO SaaS distribution platform
Apr 12, 2019 – Dooya Media Group (DMG) has signed a deal with dotstudioPRO for its AVOD offering, Dooya TV. dotstudioPRO's cloud-based distribution and monetization platform allows Dooya TV to launch a variety of features and provides flexibility in combining business models.
News categories: dotstudioPRO, Dooya, Joe Pascual, John T. Wells, Content Distribution, Digital TV, NABShow, OTT, USA
ATBA and ARK create low-power TV standards and practices group
Apr 8, 2019 – The Advanced Television Broadcasting Alliance (ATBA) has announced the formation of the LPTV Industry Standards and Practices Group. The group will encourage the LPTV industry to work together to operate and monetize new TV services based on ATSC 3.0.
News categories: ATBA, ARK Mediacom, Lee Miller, Caleb Weiss, Vern Fotheringham, ATSC, Digital TV, USA
HISPASAT shows on-demand satellite video at NAB 2019
Apr 8, 2019 – During NAB, visitors to the HISPASAT stand will be able to experience a hybrid television demo which provides on-demand satellite video services (Push VoD), allowing broadcasters to offer a complete user experience combining on-demand content with linear TV.
News categories: HISPASAT, Content Distribution, Digital TV, NABShow, Satellite, Worldwide
Intel and Netflix announce SVT-AV1 video codec at The NAB Show
Apr 8, 2019 – At The NAB Show, Intel and Netflix announced a high-performance video codec that is available as open source and royalty-free to content creators, developers and service providers. Scalable Video Technology for AV1 (SVT-AV1) offers performance and scalability in video processing.
News categories: Intel Corp, Netflix, Lynn Comp, David Ronca, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Media Player, NABShow, OTT, Worldwide
U.S. proposes ATSC 3.0 as an international digital broadcast standard
Apr 8, 2019 – The U.S. has proposed to the ITU adoption of the ATSC 3.0 digital broadcast standard for use by all countries in the world. The proposal is the first major step in the evaluation process for worldwide acceptance of the standard.
News categories: Advanced Television Systems Committee, International Telecommunication Union, Jerald Fritz, ATSC, Digital TV, Worldwide
Phoenix Model Market to add second transmission site and SFN broadcasts
Apr 4, 2019 – The Phoenix Model Market project will soon expand beyond a single Next-Gen TV transmission tower to include an additional Single Frequency Network (SFN) station, to help broadcasters evaluate the benefits of SFN transmissions.
News categories: Pearl TV, Phoenix Model Market, Anne Schelle, ATSC, Content Distribution, Digital TV, USA
Nielsen audience measurement watermark transmitted over ATSC 3.0
Apr 3, 2019 – The NAB has announced the successful transmission of a Nielsen audience measurement watermark – inaudible signals in a program’s audio that helps identify the program for audience measurement purposes – using the new ATSC 3.0 broadcast transmission standard.
News categories: National Association of Broadcasters, Nielsen, Sam Matheny, Catherine Herkovic, ATSC, Big Data, Digital TV, USA
SK Telecom, Harman and Sinclair to commercialize in-car ATSC 3.0
Jan 10, 2019 – SK Telecom (NYSE: SKM) and Sinclair Broadcast (Nasdaq: SBGI) have announced that with Harman they intend to jointly develop and commercialize digital broadcasting network-based automotive electronics technology for global markets.
News categories: Sinclair Broadcast, SK Telecom, Harman, Chris Ripley, Park Jung-ho, Dinesh Paliwal, ATSC, CES, Digital TV, In-Car, Korea, NABShow, USA, Worldwide
- Pay TV subscriptions exceed 1 billion
- Roku OS 9.2 to begin rollout
- Roku announces new streaming player line-up for UK
- Eros Now to develop online video platform with Microsoft
- FourthWall Media introduces Reveal 5 TV analytics and optimization platform
- Hearst Television moves to impressions-based selling of Local TV ad inventory
- Roku releases U.S. cord-cutting study
- Facebook introduces Portal TV set-top box
- CTA launches 8K Ultra HD logo program
- SVOD subscriptions soar by 38% in 2018
- Subscriptions now account for nearly 86% of US internet TV and movie spending
- NBCUniversal streaming service to be called 'Peacock'
- Vizio adds additional Alexa capabilities to SmartCast TVs
- LIWEST latest Austrian operator to deploy IPTV with Verimatrix and Ocilion
- Channel 4 to use Sky's AdSmart technology
- TV penetration in Sub-Saharan Africa still low
- Amazon Prime Video to be made available on Altice One
- NEOTION renews partnership with Irdeto
- Online video viewing to reach 100 minutes a day in 2021
- Irdeto secures Airtel Xstream 4K set-top box