Malaysia Digital TV News
Maxis launches PAYG passes for VOD streaming
Nov 6, 2019 – Maxis has launched Maxis TV, a video entertainment service that offers premium video content that is affordable and flexible for everyone. VOD passes start from RM3/day bundled with data and include content choices that cover all the favourites.
News categories: Maxis, Navin Manian, Apps, Digital TV, Malaysia, OTT
Netflix launches low-cost mobile plan for Malaysia
Oct 23, 2019 – Netflix has announced the launch of a new mobile plan for Malaysia. At RM17/month (~$4), members will be able to watch all of Netflix’s content—with no interruptions or ads—in standard definition (SD) on one smartphone or tablet at a time.
News categories: Netflix, Ajay Arora, Digital TV, Malaysia, OTT
Peninsular Malaysia to complete analogue TV switch-off on October 14th
Oct 9, 2019 – Terrestrial analogue TV broadcast in the northern and eastern regions of Peninsular Malaysia will be completely switched-off on the night of 14 October 2019. With this, the entire Peninsular Malaysia will have switched over fully to digital TV transmission.
News categories: Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission, myFreeview, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Malaysia, Terrestrial
23% of Malaysian online consumers use illicit streaming devices
Sep 3, 2019 – A study has revealed that 23% of Malaysian consumers use a TV box which can be used to stream pirated television and video content. The boxes allow users to access hundreds of pirated TV channels and VOD content, usually with a low annual subscription fee.
News categories: AVIA, Neil Gane, Content Protection, Digital TV, Malaysia, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box
DTH and IPTV subscriptions to drive pay TV growth in Malaysia
Aug 30, 2019 – Supported by rising adoption of mobile data, fixed broadband and pay-TV services, the total telecom and pay-TV services revenue in Malaysia is poised to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 2% between 2018 and 2023, according to GlobalData.
News categories: GlobalData, Deepa Dhingra, Digital TV, Malaysia, Market Research
Malaysia to convert to digital TV broadcasting in stages
Aug 6, 2019 – Malaysia's transition from analogue to digital TV broadcast will be implemented in stages, the country's Minister of Communications and Multimedia has said. Langkawi is the first location to receive myFreeview digital TV in place of analogue TV transmission.
News categories: Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission, Digital TV, Malaysia, Terrestrial
Malaysia runs analogue switchover pilot in Langkawi
Jul 21, 2019 – A pilot digital switchover from analogue to digital terrestrial TV has taken place in Gunung Raya, Langkawi. The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission is conducting the test run and study as part of its Analogue Switch Off (ASO) pilot project.
News categories: Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission, myFreeview, Content Distribution, Digital TV, DVB-T2, Malaysia, Terrestrial
Comscore announces launch of Video Metrix Multi-Platform in Malaysia
Jul 9, 2019 – Comscore has announced the launch of Video Metrix Multi-Platform in Malaysia. The product provides a single, unduplicated measure of digital video consumption across smartphone, tablet and desktop devices.
News categories: Comscore, Kedar Gavane, Serm Teck Choon, Advertising, Big Data, Malaysia, Mobile, OTT
Astro Malaysia updates Astro GO user experience
Jul 8, 2019 – Astro Malysia has introduced a new look and features for its Astro GO app. The update offers a new interface and enhanced user experience. New features include easier navigation, enhanced search and easier content discovery.
News categories: Astro Malaysia, Apps, Digital TV, Malaysia, TV Everywhere, UX
- VisualOn launches WatchParty co-watching solution
- Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer first vehicles with Fire TV for Auto
- U.S. pay TV providers lost over 5 million subscribers in 2020
- OTT NOW! from Stoneroos powers SportsTribal
- OTT video streaming in APAC now reaches 392 million people
- Megacable launches OTT service powered by Viaccess-Orca
- No growth expected for Latin America pay TV
- More than 150 million smart speakers sold in 2020
- LG and Sony led OLED TV gains in advanced TV market in Q4
- 63% of TV viewers in the EU5 watch ad-supported streaming
- Slow growth for OTT pay TV in Latin America
- Australia pay TV market to decline at 2.6% CAGR over next five years
- MediaTek releases 4K Smart TV IC with integrated AI processing unit
- SpotX to monetize OTT inventory for Crackle Plus
- Kaltura files for Initial Public Offering
- ANGA COM 2021 switches to online
- Virgin TV 360 now available to all Virgin Media customers
- TVbeat to provide audience insights for OSN
- Roku to acquire Nielsen’s Advanced Video Advertising business
- VIZIO files for initial public offering