Digital TV News: NPD
US consumer tech sales expected to decline until 2025
Jan 5, 2023 – Following tremendous growth fueled by pandemic needs in 2020 and 2021, U.S. consumer technology industry sales revenue is expected to end 2022 down 8% year over year, according to The NPD Group.
News categories: NPD Group, Paul Gagnon, Ben Arnold, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA
U.S. streaming video consumers becoming more price sensitive
Jun 23, 2022 – According to The NPD Group, from October 2021 to April 2022, cost went from the #4 reason for cancelling an SVOD service to #2. According to NPD's latest study, consumers are also increasingly signing up for services based on promotional or discounted offers.
News categories: NPD Group, John Buffone, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
U.S. TV purchasers more motivated by screen size and picture quality
Apr 26, 2022 – According to NPD, over the last two years the average size of installed TVs in the U.S. has increased by three inches to 47.5". Consumers are also replacing TVs faster than before. The average age of a replaced TV is now 6.4 years, down from 6.8 years in 2020.
News categories: NPD, John Buffone, Paul Gagnon, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, USA
US consumer technology sales revenue ends 2021 up 9%
Jan 6, 2022 – According to NPD, 2021 was a record year for the U.S. consumer tech industry with sales reaching nearly $127 billion dollars, up 9% on 2020's tremendous result. Revenues are expected to decline 5% in 2022, 4% in 2023, and 1% in 2024.
News categories: NPD Group, Stephen Baker, Ben Arnold, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
Roku TV expands with Sharp in the US & new brands in Mexico
Jan 3, 2022 – Roku (Nasdaq: ROKU) has partnered with Sharp to bring Sharp Roku TV models to the United States. In addition, the Roku TV licensing program in Mexico will expand with the addition of Aiwa and HKPRO starting in early 2022.
News categories: Roku, Sharp, Mustafa Ozgen, Jim Sanduski, Digital TV, Mexico, Middleware, Smart TV, USA
Roku launches OneView ad platform for Canada
Sep 23, 2021 – Roku (Nasdaq: ROKU) has expanded its Canadian TV advertising offering with the introduction of the OneView advertising platform. OneView enables ad campaigns across TV streaming, desktop, and mobile.
News categories: Roku, Matterkind, Christina Summers, Erin Rahn, Advertising, Canada, Digital TV, Streaming
Record-breaking U.S. movie and TV viewership continued in 1H 2021
Sep 14, 2021 – According to The NPD Group, reported time spent watching TV shows and movies in the U.S., in the first half of 2021, rose 4% over last year, as screen-entertainment spending declined by 1%.
News categories: NPD Group, John Buffone, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
FandangoNOW merged into Vudu
Aug 3, 2021 – Fandango is uniting its TV streaming services, Vudu and FandangoNOW. The new Vudu service will offer more than 200,000 new release and catalog movies and TV shows. Vudu replaces FandangoNOW on Roku in the U.S.
News categories: Fandango, Roku, Paul Yanover, Tedd Cittadine, Digital TV, Streaming, USA
HBO Max app now available on LG Smart TVs in the U.S.
Aug 3, 2021 – LG Electronics USA and WarnerMedia have announced that the HBO Max app is now available on LG Smart TVs in the U.S. LG Smart TV owners can now access HBO Max as part of the TV's webOS platform.
News categories: LG Electronics, WarnerMedia, HBO Max, Apps, Digital TV, Smart TV, Streaming, USA
- J:COM deploys Qwilt Open Caching solution
- Breezeline Stream TV comes to Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio
- Sale of Millicom to Apollo Global Management and Claure Group in discussion
- Comcast cable video subscribers down 2.034 million in 2022
- Disney strikes streaming measurement deal with EDO
- ITV increases investment in InfoSum
- German study shows high losses from TV piracy
- European Audiovisual Observatory publishes report on media ownership in Europe
- NBA games to be available in VR through Meta Horizon Worlds
- Simply.TV signs metadata deal with YouSee
- Verizon FIOS consumer video subscribers down 80,000 in 4Q 2022
- Unified TV ad measurement to be launched in Finland
- KPN introduces KPN TV+ streaming service
- ENENSYS releases ATSC 3.0 modulator for digital TV transmitters
- iWedia report reveals drivers behind set-top box OS selection
- Fabric acquires Internet Video Archive (IVA)
- MENA pay TV subscriptions to grow by 2 million over next 6 years
- Prime Video and DAZN sign global distribution partnership
- CIMM, 4A's and TVB looking at action plan for U.S. local TV measurement
- U.S. TV viewing remained high in December