Digital TV News: NPD
US consumer technology sales revenue ends 2021 up 9%
Jan 6, 2022 – According to NPD, 2021 was a record year for the U.S. consumer tech industry with sales reaching nearly $127 billion dollars, up 9% on 2020's tremendous result. Revenues are expected to decline 5% in 2022, 4% in 2023, and 1% in 2024.
News categories: NPD Group, Stephen Baker, Ben Arnold, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
Roku TV expands with Sharp in the US & new brands in Mexico
Jan 3, 2022 – Roku (Nasdaq: ROKU) has partnered with Sharp to bring Sharp Roku TV models to the United States. In addition, the Roku TV licensing program in Mexico will expand with the addition of Aiwa and HKPRO starting in early 2022.
News categories: Roku, Sharp, Mustafa Ozgen, Jim Sanduski, Digital TV, Mexico, Middleware, Smart TV, USA
Roku launches OneView ad platform for Canada
Sep 23, 2021 – Roku (Nasdaq: ROKU) has expanded its Canadian TV advertising offering with the introduction of the OneView advertising platform. OneView enables ad campaigns across TV streaming, desktop, and mobile.
News categories: Roku, Matterkind, Christina Summers, Erin Rahn, Advertising, Canada, Digital TV, Streaming
Record-breaking U.S. movie and TV viewership continued in 1H 2021
Sep 14, 2021 – According to The NPD Group, reported time spent watching TV shows and movies in the U.S., in the first half of 2021, rose 4% over last year, as screen-entertainment spending declined by 1%.
News categories: NPD Group, John Buffone, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
FandangoNOW merged into Vudu
Aug 3, 2021 – Fandango is uniting its TV streaming services, Vudu and FandangoNOW. The new Vudu service will offer more than 200,000 new release and catalog movies and TV shows. Vudu replaces FandangoNOW on Roku in the U.S.
News categories: Fandango, Roku, Paul Yanover, Tedd Cittadine, Digital TV, Streaming, USA
HBO Max app now available on LG Smart TVs in the U.S.
Aug 3, 2021 – LG Electronics USA and WarnerMedia have announced that the HBO Max app is now available on LG Smart TVs in the U.S. LG Smart TV owners can now access HBO Max as part of the TV's webOS platform.
News categories: LG Electronics, WarnerMedia, HBO Max, Apps, Digital TV, Smart TV, Streaming, USA
One billion devices able to deliver content to a screen in US homes
Apr 26, 2021 – According to NPD's 'Device Ownership Trends & Profile Report', by February 2021, U.S. households had over one billion devices installed, connected, and able to deliver digital content to a screen.
News categories: NPD, John Buffone, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Smartphone, Tablet, USA
Historic U.S. consumer technology sales in 2020
Jan 8, 2021 – 2020 was a year of historic growth for the U.S. consumer technology industry with sales up 17% (through Dec. 26, 2020) and according to NPD this momentum will continue into the first quarter of 2021.
News categories: NPD Group, Stephen Baker, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
Roku TV no. 1 Smart TV OS in the U.S. and Canada
Jan 8, 2021 – Roku (Nasdaq: ROKU) has announced that Roku OS was the No. 1 smart TV OS sold in the U.S. and Canada. Roku TV had 38% market share in the US and 31% in Canada, based on data from January 5 to December 26, 2020.
News categories: Roku, Mustafa Ozgen, Canada, CES2022, Digital TV, Market Research, Middleware, Smart TV, Streaming, USA
- MPEG LA offers one-stop license for ATSC 3.0
- discovery+ now available on LG Smart TVs in Canada
- SLING TV comes to VIZIO SmartCast platform
- VideoAI from CTS automates video content metadata generation
- Irdeto brings Server Side Ad Insertion solution to market
- Five million Brits spending full working day on streaming sites
- Breezeline launches cloud-based TV service
- ATSC 3.0 technologies selected for Brazil's TV 3.0 system
- European Audiovisual Observatory publishes report on media ownership in Europe
- MPEG-H selected as audio system for Brazil's TV 3.0 Project
- Altice partners with Ampersand to sell addressable ad inventory
- Cgates goes live with Synamedia video network solutions
- Video Solutions AG launches AVOD channels with Amagi
- Netflix shows signs of slowing in the U.S.
- A-LIVE partners with Minerva to offer fans NFTs of music concert
- Pay TV revenues in the MENA region to decline by $1.5bn
- ViacomCBS migrates from satellite to IP content distribution with CommScope
- VIDAA selects Unruly SSP and ad server to provide inventory access
- NBCUniversal names iSpot.tv as first cross-platform Video Certified Measurement Partner
- GTPL Hathway finishes 2021 with 7.5 million digital CATV subscribers