Digital TV News: Parks Associates
TV antenna usage in US broadband households up 25% in 2019
Mar 26, 2020 – According to Parks Associates, 25% of US broadband households use an antenna to watch local broadcast TV channels, up from 15% in 2018. Roughly half of antenna users do not subscribe to any pay-TV services, either traditional or vMVPD.
News categories: Parks Associates, Steve Nason, Digital TV, Terrestrial, USA
OTT service churn in 2019 reached 35%, up from 28% in 2018
Mar 10, 2020 – Parks Associates has found that the churn rate among all OTT services was 35% in 2019, an increase of 25% from 2018. Churn among vMVPDs (virtual multichannel video programming distributors or online pay-TV providers) was 81% in 2019.
News categories: Parks Associates, Steve Nason, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA, Worldwide
TV sets still dominate video entertainment consumption
Jan 27, 2020 – Research from Parks Associates finds that TV sets still dominate home entertainment, accounting for over one-half of all video consumed by US broadband households each week. Consumers are also increasing the total amount of time spent watching video.
News categories: Parks Associates, Steve Nason, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
US broadband households interested in innovative offerings accessed via TV
Jan 16, 2020 – Parks Associates has found that over one-quarter of US broadband households are interested in innovative offerings accessed via television, such as offline viewing, video gaming, food delivery, ride sharing, and gambling.
News categories: Parks Associates, Steve Nason, Elizabeth Parks, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
Piracy and account sharing cost U.S. pay TV and OTT operators over $9bn in 2019
Jan 15, 2020 – A report from Parks Associates finds that the value of pirate video services accessed by pay-TV and non-pay-TV consumers will exceed $67 billion worldwide by 2023. The report also examines trends in content piracy and piracy prevention.
News categories: Parks Associates, Steven Hawley, Elizabeth Parks, Content Protection, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
77% of smart TVs owned by US broadband households now internet connected
Jan 6, 2020 – Parks Associates has announced research showing that more than 70% of US broadband households own at least one streaming entertainment product and 50% own a smart TV, with 77% of those TVs now being connected to the internet.
News categories: Parks Associates, Kristen Hanich, CES2020, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Smart TV, USA
59% of UK broadband households use online sources to access video content
Oct 28, 2019 – Parks Associates research shows more than half of UK broadband households use online sources for video content, including OTT subscriptions and BBC iPlayer.
News categories: Parks Associates, Niall Robinson, Stefan Witkamp, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, UK
Quality of UI more important than recommendations in video service satisfaction
Oct 14, 2019 – Research from Parks Associates finds that 70% of US broadband households with a major video service consider its UI to be 'good', with 48% rating it 'very good', and these scores impact their willingness to recommend the service to others.
News categories: Parks Associates, Kristen Hanich, Digital TV, Market Research, USA, UX
46% of US broadband households subscribe to two or more OTT services
Oct 2, 2019 – Parks Associates research has found that 46% of US broadband households now subscribe to two or more OTT services, up from 33% in early 2017. The company believes that partnerships, aggregation, and bundling are key strategies for subscriber growth.
News categories: Parks Associates, Steve Nason, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
- Contentos integrates Theta Network decentralized video delivery for COS.tv
- SeaChange selected by Midco to monetize video streaming service
- Apptopia and Braze release state of streaming industry report
- Edge Networks announces 'Evoca' ATSC 3.0 pay TV service
- Allegro DVT releases AL-D21x video decoder IP family with AV1 support
- Nielsen and Sinclair Broadcast announce multi-year renewal
- Verimatrix introduces DRM for video protection between devices
- Deltatre unveils SaaS platform for real-time, data-driven UX decisions
- Omdia cuts 2020 TV shipment forecast by 10 percentage points
- Comscore research shows continuing surge in U.S. daytime TV viewing
- FCC proposed rule change to support ATSC 3.0 distributed transmission
- VideoAmp creates combined Smart TV and STB viewing dataset for the U.S.
- Roku OS 9.3 begins roll-out
- Italian local re-broadcaster RAS goes live with Synamedia virtualized DCM
- Altice Europe terminates discussions on acquisition of Partner Communications
- Asia Pacific set for 417 million SVOD subscribers
- Velocix introduces CDN software for 5G video streaming
- Comscore sees notable rise in U.S. streaming usage
- Movies Anywhere app comes to LG Smart TVs
- Singtel puts HOOQ into liquidation