Digital TV News: Project Canvas
U.K. and French Broadcasters Take the Lead in European OTT Video Market
May 25, 2011 – An analysis of Europe's largest over-the-top (OTT) video markets by SNL Kagan finds the U.K. and France leading Europe's emerging OTT deployments, invigorating both free and pay-TV competitive dynamics from which new business models are emerging.
News categories: SNL Kagan, Digital TV, France, Germany, Italy, Market Research, Spain, Streaming, UK
YouView updates launch schedule
Feb 9, 2011 – YouView, the subscription-free internet-connected TV service for the UK, has announced that it will have a product in trial by the end of this year, with a full consumer launch planned in early 2012.
News categories: YouView, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Streaming, Terrestrial, UK
Over the Top (OTT) Video Is Slowly Making Its Way to Set-top Boxes
Nov 24, 2010 – According to ABI Research, MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) set-top box shipments surpassed MPEG-2-only set-top box shipments for the first time in 2010. Despite the support for advanced encoding, pay-TV operators worldwide have been slow to support interactive features.
News categories: ABI Research, Cable TV, Digital TV, DVR, Gateway, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Set Top Box, Streaming, Terrestrial
No Ofcom investigation into Project Canvas
Oct 19, 2010 – Ofcom has announced that it will not open an investigation into 'Project Canvas' under the Competition Act following complaints made by Virgin Media (NASDAQ:VMED, LSE:VMED) and IPVision.
News categories: YouView, Digital TV, DVR, IPTV, Middleware, Regulation, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Streaming, UK
Hybrid Web-to-TV Set Top Boxes Enable Operators and Broadcasters for Internet Video Battleground
Sep 29, 2010 – With an Internet Protocol (IP) link coming in to nearly every possible consumer electronics device with a screen, hybrid Web-to-TV set top boxes (STB) will be vital tools that enable broadcasters and operators to compete, says In-Stat.
News categories: In-Stat, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Set Top Box, Streaming, Terrestrial
UK's Project Canvas becomes YouView
Sep 16, 2010 – YouView has been revealed as the brand that will bring a new free-to-air internet-connected TV service to UK homes next year. The seven partners behind Project Canvas have announced the formation of YouView TV Ltd.
News categories: YouView, Digital TV, DVR, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Streaming, UK
DTG unveils 'one stop shop' for Connected TV, HbbTV, Freeview and Freesat Test and Conformance at IBC 2010
Sep 11, 2010 – The Digital TV Group (DTG) has announced that DTG Testing is to provide manufacturers with a single facility for Connected TV, HbbTV, Freeview, Freesat and Digital Tick test and conformance, with Project Canvas support in development.
News categories: Digital TV Group, HbbTV, IBC2023, Satellite, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Streaming, Terrestrial, UK
Platforms set to trump devices in the connected home
Sep 9, 2010 – According to new research from Informa Telecoms & Media, platforms that aggregate services rather than any individual device will play the most important role in the connected home in the next 5 years.
News categories: Informa Telecoms & Media, HbbTV, Market Research, Middleware, Smart Home, Streaming
Project Canvas partners further engage with device manufacturers
Aug 11, 2010 – The Project Canvas partners have formally invited expressions of interest from consumer equipment manufacturers to develop and bring Canvas devices to market in 2011.
News categories: Project Canvas, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Smart TV, Streaming, UK
- VTV selects ENENSYS for distribution to DVB-T2 transmitters over DTH
- DIAGNAL and Lounges.tv extend technology partnership
- Global FAST revenues to hit $17 billion in 2029
- Videotex India's largest licensee manufacturer of webOS Hub TVs
- Tubi beta tests ChatGPT-powered content discovery
- Amagi partners with TAG Video Systems for FAST channel monitoring
- ViewNexa survey reveals dissatisfaction among streaming subscribers
- Cignal TV taps Quickplay for Pilipinas Live global sports app
- TiVo releases Q2 2023 video trends report
- Ateme powers Viacom18's Indian Premier League UHD experience
- Streaming now most popular TV source in Canada
- Pixalate releases H1 2023 EMEA CTV ad supply chain report
- Mirada to power MNC's Vision+ streaming service in Indonesia
- Munich court rules Netflix infringing Broadcom video patent
- India Smart TV market grew 8% YoY in 1H23
- TV Monaco starts operations supported by Qvest
- Caretta Research: MVPDs must evolve into 'super aggregators'
- Barb upgrades API with BVOD, SVOD, video-sharing and non-TV device data
- U.S. JIC conditionally certifies Comscore, iSpot and VideoAmp currencies
- Global SVOD revenues to surpass $127bn in 2029