COVID-19 (Coronavirus pandemic) News
Pandemic boosts game console market; delays 8K TV adoption
Nov 3, 2020 – The Covid-19 pandemic has boosted the game console market yet curbed flat-panel TV sales. New next-generation consoles combined with pandemic-driven demand will contribute to game console market growth in 2020.
News categories: ABI Research, Khin Sandi Lynn, COVID-19, Digital TV, Gaming, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
COVID-19 pandemic accelerates cord-cutting in 2020
Oct 13, 2020 – Pay TV market growth has slowed over the past few years due to the shift in video consumption to online streaming. The COVID-19 pandemic is further accelerating the trend, according to ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Khin Sandi Lynn, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, Worldwide
Record single-quarter TV shipments in 3Q 2020
Oct 8, 2020 – A 20% increase in TV demand in North America, as well as deferred shipments from 1H20 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, added to the third-quarter cyclical upturn, according to TrendForce.
News categories: TrendForce, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
COVID-19 boosts mobile content spend 28% in 2020
Oct 6, 2020 – COVID-19 will boost worldwide revenue on content consumed on mobile phones by 28% in 2020 according to Strategy Analytics. Over the next five years mobile media revenue is expected to approach $860 billion.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Kerr, Nitesh Patel, Content Distribution, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, Mobile, Worldwide
Smart Home device market remains resilient despite pandemic
Sep 28, 2020 – The market for smart home devices is expected to grow from over 854 million units in 2020 to more than 1.4 billion units in 2024, according to IDC. Video entertainment devices are expected to remain the largest category.
News categories: IDC, Adam Wright, Jitesh Ubrani, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Smart TV, Worldwide
VR market to grow despite pandemic blow to location-based segment
Sep 24, 2020 – ABI Research expects the VR market to grow in 2020 despite some negative impacts from COVID-19. The pandemic, however, has accelerated some trends and increased interest and adoption of immersive technologies.
News categories: ABI Research, Michael Inouye, COVID-19, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
Sluggish growth expected for pay TV in India
Sep 22, 2020 – Pay-TV services revenue in India is expected to grow at a lethargic CAGR of 0.7% from US$3.19bn in 2020 to US$3.30bn in 2025 due to growing user substitution to OTT platforms, according to GlobalData.
News categories: GlobalData, Deepa Dhingra, COVID-19, Digital TV, India, Market Research, Subscribers
Pay TV in Portugal grows 4.1% YoY in 1H 2020
Sep 16, 2020 – According to Anacom, in Portugal in the first half of 2020, around 89.3% of households had pay TV, 3.3 percentage points more than the previous year. The number of subscribers was 4.15 million, up 165,000 (+4.1%) year-on-year.
News categories: Anacom, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, Portugal, Subscribers
MIPCOM 2020 moves entirely online
Sep 10, 2020 – MIPCOM 2020 has announced that the 36th annual international television content market will now take place entirely online as MIPCOM ONLINE+. The physical gathering is cancelled due to the continued impact of COVID-19.
News categories: MIPCOM, Laurine Garaude, COVID-19, Digital TV, Worldwide
- NetRange cloud app portal selected by itel for new Smart TVs
- Vewd integrates support for BML and Hybridcast
- Discovery announces global launch of discovery+
- VUALTO DRM selected to protect France Télévisions' AV content
- FreeWheel and NBCUniversal automate linear ad decisioning
- Deltatre AXIS to power BritBox for a further five years
- Zappware enables WIND VISION on PCs in Greece
- InterDigital and Futuresource release video sustainability report
- Local broadcasters collaborate to launch NextGen TV in Florida
- Highest ever Samsung Smart TV sales in 3Q 2020
- Orange France delivers targeted ads with SoftAtHome video player
- Velocix unveils cloud-native video personalisation service
- DIRECTV GO now available in Brazil
- VR consumer content revenue to exceed $7 billion in 2025
- Inverto first with EICS TV distribution equipment certification
- XroadMedia to power hyper-personalization at ZEE5
- Ericsson predicts 40% of mobile subscriptions in 2026 will be 5G
- Pay TV revenue in New Zealand to follow -3.1% CAGR
- iQIYI International available for ZEASN-based smart devices
- Growing demand for smart displays driving smart speaker sales