Digital TV News: International Data Corp
COVID-19 to have limited impact on telecoms and pay TV spending in 2020
May 15, 2020 – Worldwide spending on telecommunications and pay TV services will reach nearly $1.6 trillion in 2020, a decrease of 0.8% compared to 2019, according to IDC. IDC expects the decline to continue in 2021, but at a somewhat lower degree.
News categories: IDC, Kresimir Alic, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, Worldwide
Non-memory semiconductor revenue to decline 7.2% in 2020
May 4, 2020 – Worldwide semiconductor revenue declined 12.2% in 2019 to $418 billion. Instead of an anticipated bottom and gradual recovery in 2020, the emergence of COVID-19 will drive another contraction in the overall semiconductor market, according to IDC.
News categories: IDC, Mario Morales, Shane Rau, Michael Palma, COVID-19, Market Research, Semiconductor, Worldwide
COVID-19 to have significant effect on the semiconductor market
Mar 18, 2020 – IDC has reported on potential impact of the COVID-19 virus on the semiconductor market. Their report provides a framework to evaluate the market impact through four scenarios that assess the range of possible outcomes.
News categories: IDC, Mario Morales, COVID-19, Market Research, Semiconductor
Worldwide spending on AR/VR expected to reach $18.8bn in 2020
Nov 27, 2019 – Worldwide spending on augmented reality and virtual reality (AR/VR) is forecast to be $18.8 billion in 2020, up 78.5% versus the $10.5 billion IDC expects will be spent in 2019. Continued strong growth is predicted for the 2019-2023 period.
News categories: IDC, Giulia Carosella, Marcus Torchia, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
Consumer spending on technology to be $1.69 trillion in 2019
Oct 11, 2019 – Consumer spending on technology is forecast to reach $1.69 trillion in 2019, an increase of 5.3% over 2018, according to IDC. Consumer purchases of traditional and emerging technologies will remain strong over the 2019-2023 forecast period.
News categories: IDC, Stacey Soohoo, Ramon T. Llamas, Digital TV, Market Research, Worldwide
Smart home devices to maintain steady growth through 2023
Sep 23, 2019 – The worldwide market for smart home devices is expected to grow 23.5% YoY in 2019 to nearly 815 million device shipments, according to IDC. Shipments are forecast to be more than 1.39 billion in 2023 giving a CAGR of 14.4%.
News categories: IDC, Adam Wight, Jitesh Ubrani, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Smart Home, Smart TV, Worldwide
Google leads European Smart Home market in 1Q19
Jul 1, 2019 – In the first quarter of this year, the smart home market in Europe grew 23.9%, reaching 21.3 million units shipped to the region, according to IDC. Video entertainment devices shipped 12.7 million units in 1Q19, increasing 11.2% annually.
News categories: IDC, Antonio Arantes, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Smart TV
AR/VR headsets return to growth in Q1
Jun 26, 2019 – The worldwide AR and VR headset market returned to growth after a year of decline as global shipments during the first quarter of 2019 (1Q19) reached 1.3 million, up 27.2% from the same quarter last year, according to IDC.
News categories: IDC, Jitesh Ubrani, Tom Mainelli, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
Growing acceptance of Smart Home devices
Jun 25, 2019 – Global shipments for smart home devices reached 168.6 million in the first quarter of 2019 (1Q19), up 37.3% from the previous year, according to IDC. This growth was driven by the growing acceptance of connected devices within the home.
News categories: IDC, Jitesh Ubrani, Adam Wright, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart Home, Worldwide
- BluTV DTH launches in Brazil on EUTELSAT 65 West A
- OTT TV and video revenues at $83 billion in 2019
- 41.4% of TVs in Latin America are Smart
- DISH Network pay TV subscribers down 51,000 in 2Q 2020
- Pirate subscription TV services now a billion-dollar U.S. industry
- PAOK FC OTT platform built with Insys Sport on AWS
- SLING TV in-app guide integrates local OTA channels on LG Smart TVs
- Conviva releases State of Streaming Q2 report
- Stay-at-home providing springboard for French SVOD
- Survata announces enhanced CTV measurement suite
- Ofcom releases Media Nations 2020 report
- RADIO.COM expands connected TV footprint with Vewd
- NAGRA multi-DRM selected for Grupo Express OTT service in Argentina
- V-Nova and NETINT collaborate on MPEG-5 LCEVC transcoding
- ViacomCBS to launch connected video ad platform
- Bell Canada releases Android TV 4K HDR streaming box
- ORS chooses 3SS to deliver simpliTV service in Austria
- Mongolia's Skymedia upgrades to Minerva 10
- Express-80 and Express-103 satellites launched
- INVIDI extends addressable TV partnership with Tata Elxsi