Digital TV News: NPD Group
One billion devices able to deliver content to a screen in US homes
Apr 26, 2021 – According to NPD's 'Device Ownership Trends & Profile Report', by February 2021, U.S. households had over one billion devices installed, connected, and able to deliver digital content to a screen.
News categories: NPD, John Buffone, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Smartphone, Tablet, USA
Historic U.S. consumer technology sales in 2020
Jan 8, 2021 – 2020 was a year of historic growth for the U.S. consumer technology industry with sales up 17% (through Dec. 26, 2020) and according to NPD this momentum will continue into the first quarter of 2021.
News categories: NPD Group, Stephen Baker, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
Roku TV no. 1 Smart TV OS in the U.S. and Canada
Jan 8, 2021 – Roku (Nasdaq: ROKU) has announced that Roku OS was the No. 1 smart TV OS sold in the U.S. and Canada. Roku TV had 38% market share in the US and 31% in Canada, based on data from January 5 to December 26, 2020.
News categories: Roku, Mustafa Ozgen, Canada, CES2022, Digital TV, Market Research, Middleware, OTT, Smart TV, USA
TV installed base in the U.S. getting bigger and newer
Dec 23, 2020 – According to NPD, over the last several years American TV screens have been inching up in size. Installed TVs in the U.S. are now larger (15% are 60" or over) and newer (the average age is 4.9 years) than ever before.
News categories: NPD Group, John Buffone, Stephen Baker, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, USA
U.S. viewers now bundling seven streaming services
Dec 14, 2020 – According to a survey from The NPD Group, consumers that use streaming to view content are now using seven services, including SVOD and free streaming video services, up from five in April 2020.
News categories: The NPD Group, John Buffone, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
Apple TV app launches on VIZIO SmartCast TVs
Sep 8, 2020 – VIZIO has announced that customers in the US and Canada can now access the Apple TV app on SmartCast TVs. Eligible VIZIO SmartCast customers in the US can sign up for Apple TV+ and receive three months free.
News categories: VIZIO, Apple TV, Mike O'Donnell, Apps, Canada, Digital TV, OTT, Smart TV, USA
Voice Assistants, Operating Systems to disrupt consumer ecosystem
Jun 18, 2020 – As connected tech adoption continues to increase among U.S. households, operating systems (iOS, Android) and the accompanying voice assistants are becoming increasingly important to consumers, according to The NPD Group.
News categories: NPD Group, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA
U.S. weekly Netflix usage up 72% since COVID-19 pandemic began
May 4, 2020 – Since shelter at home orders were announced in the U.S., there has been a 72% increase in the number of Netflix subscriber profiles that were used to stream video each week, according to NPD. Less densely populated regions also saw DVD and Blu-ray sales growth.
News categories: NPD Group, John Buffone, Blu-ray, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
NPD expects continued growth for U.S. consumer technology through 2022
Feb 3, 2020 – According to The NPD Group, 2019 marked the third consecutive year of growth for the U.S. consumer tech industry with sales up 3% over the previous year. NPD’s forecast is for 5% revenue growth in the U.S. this year, followed by 4% in 2021, and 3% in 2022.
News categories: NPD Group, Stephen Baker, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, USA
- TF1 and M6 enter exclusive merger negotiations
- WarnerMedia and Discovery combine entertainment assets in standalone company
- Global pay TV revenues to drop by $30 billion
- Disney+ ends 1Q 2021 with 103.6 million subscribers
- Nielsen Digital Ad Ratings for Samsung TV Plus inventory
- Altice's a4 deploys CommScope video advertising solution
- DTG publishes 'State of the Nation' report
- TiVo to acquire MobiTV assets from Chapter 11
- Liberty Latin America deploys Velocix video streaming platform
- FTTH/B now passes more than half of homes in EU39
- Setplex to power TV Cabo São Paulo OTT service
- Irdeto joins AWS Media & Entertainment initiative
- TiVo ad inventory available through Xandr
- Proximus integrates Prime Video app into latest Android TV box
- HbbTV releases updated Test Suite and Test Descriptions
- Switch Media to provide OTT service for Solomon Telekom
- Amino bids for MobiTV
- Global SVOD subscriptions to grow to 1.5 billion by 2026
- Amagi ad solutions increase revenue at Cinedigm
- Blockgraph and The Trade Desk partner on Unified ID 2.0 audience targeting