Digital TV News: TVNZ
Freeview NZ to sunset On Demand service by late 2022
Dec 14, 2021 – Freeview NZ is to end Freeview On Demand by late 2022. The service is offered as an addition to Live TV on Smart TVs and STBs. The content will still be available on-demand, just accessed on broadcasters’ own apps or websites.
News categories: Freeview NZ, Digital TV, New Zealand, Set Top Box, Smart TV, UX
Vodafone NZ new TV box goes on sale in September
Aug 6, 2019 – Vodafone has announced that its Vodafone TV device wll go on sale in New Zealand in September. The box includes the ability to record content, and rewind free-to-air and Sky channels, plus a range of popular apps are pre-loaded.
News categories: Vodafone, Carolyn Luey, Digital TV, New Zealand, Set Top Box, Streaming
Freeview NZ on demand platform available via OTT STB
Jun 5, 2019 – Freeview New Zealand's On Demand platform is now available on the recently released Freeview streaming device (DISH TV SmartVU X). SmartVU X is a tiny gadget that connects to almost any TV and streams Freeview Live TV over the internet.
News categories: Freeview NZ, Jason Foden, Apps, Digital TV, New Zealand, Set Top Box, Streaming
Freeview NZ PVR combines Freeview features with streaming apps
Dec 10, 2018 – Freeview, in collaboration with Dish TV, Google and local content providers, has released the first Android TV powered PVR in New Zealand. The Freeview Recorder combines the entire suite of Freeview features with apps and extra content available through Google Play.
News categories: Freeview NZ, Jason Foden, Android TV, Apps, Digital TV, New Zealand, Satellite, Set Top Box, Streaming, Terrestrial
Freeview NZ rolls out new On Demand experience
Jul 4, 2018 – Freeview New Zealand has commenced roll-out of a new On Demand TV Platform to replace the existing FreeviewPlus service. The new Freeview On Demand provides a more seamless experience and easier access to shows and movies.
News categories: Freeview NZ, Jason Foden, Digital TV, New Zealand, UX
TVNZ uses Brightcove Context Aware Encoding for HEIHEI kids platform
May 28, 2018 – Brightcove (NASDAQ: BCOV) has announced that TVNZ has implemented Brightcove’s Context Aware Encoding, for its new kids’ platform, HEIHEI. Implementing Brightcove’s technology enables TVNZ to save on storage and delivery costs.
News categories: Brightcove, TVNZ, Mark Stanton, Andrew Blakey, Content Distribution, Digital TV, New Zealand, Streaming
Vodafone TV launches in New Zealand
Nov 1, 2017 – Vodafone New Zealand has announced the availability of Vodafone TV consoles. Vodafone TV brings SKY TV, free-to-air and a range of popular online and app-based entertainment together in one easy to use system.
News categories: Vodafone, Matt Williams, Digital TV, IPTV, New Zealand, Set Top Box
Freeview NZ to launch new on-demand platform and connected PVR
Oct 19, 2017 – Freeview New Zealand has announced the launch of a new PVR along with a new Freeview On Demand platform combining Live TV and On Demand services. The PVR will be the first device to combine Freeview Live TV, Freeview On Demand and Freeview Record capabilities.
News categories: Freeview NZ, Jason Foden, Digital TV, HbbTV, New Zealand, Satellite, Set Top Box, Terrestrial
Vodafone TV launches in New Zealand
Oct 17, 2017 – Vodafone has unveiled Vodafone TV – a world of entertainment that lets Kiwis experience television like never before. It brings SKY TV, free-to-air and a range of online and app-based entertainment services such as Netflix together in one intuitive, easy to use system.
News categories: Vodafone, SKY TV, Matt Williams, John Fellet, Digital TV
- Irdeto enhances software DRM to prevent content key extraction
- T-Mobile NL partners with Witbe to guarantee IPTV service quality
- Global semiconductor sales grew 3.2% in 2022 despite H2 slowdown
- Veset acquired by PLAY Japan
- Hisense no. 1 in TV shipments in December 2022
- LG adds Apple integrations to webOS Hub smart TV platform
- Market turbulence set to define media industry in 2023
- Huawei brings stc tv streaming to its users in the MENA region
- Sky rolls out Entertainment OS 1.1 update
- Comedy most pirated genre of entertainment
- Viaccess-Orca and Broadpeak achieve 3-second latency for live sports streaming
- Globecast powers distribution of 2022 World Cup for New World TV
- Ateme reduces latency to under four seconds for Cyta's OTT channels
- Digiturk deploys Irdeto 360 Video Security Services
- ThinkAnalytics unveils new customer wins
- Netgem to initiate sale of activities other than TV streaming
- Synamedia delivers low latency World Cup streaming for Cellcom
- NEXTGEN TV broadcasting begins in Boston
- SkyShowtime announces line-up ahead of launches in Central & Eastern Europe
- Global online video subscriptions to reach 1.7bn in 2023