Digital TV News: Jonathan Thompson
UK's DTG releases D-Book 12.6
Oct 28, 2021 – The DTG has announced the release of its D-Book 12.6. Previously optional, support for HbbTV now becomes mandatory in the latest version, as the transition away from MHEG continues in the UK.
News categories: DTG, HbbTV Association, Richard Lindsay-Davies, Vincent Grivet, Content Distribution, Digital TV, HbbTV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
BBC, ITV and Channel 4 plan to integrate Digital UK and Freesat
Feb 10, 2021 – The BBC, ITV and Channel 4 plan to integrate Digital UK, the joint venture which facilitates the provision of Freeview TV, with Freesat, which offers access to the UK's subscription-free satellite TV service.
News categories: Digital UK, Freesat, Jonathan Thompson, Alistair Thom, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
Freeview Play launches on Amazon Fire TV Edition
Oct 12, 2020 – Freeview Play is launching on selected Fire TV Edition TVs, thanks to an agreement between Digital UK and Amazon. Fire TV Edition TVs with Freeview Play will be launching later this year.
News categories: Digital UK, Amazon, Jonathan Thompson, Emma Gilmartin, Digital TV, Middleware, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
Freeview Play coming to Android TV
Mar 4, 2020 – Freeview Play is coming to Android TV, thanks to an agreement between Freeview and Google. The viewer experience has been developed by the organisations to ensure both prominence and discoverability for public service and advertising funded television.
News categories: Digital UK, Android, Jonathan Thompson, Shalini Govil-pai, Apps, Digital TV, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
Freeview Play devices sold in UK reach five million
Dec 19, 2018 – Freeview and Digital UK have announced that the total number of Freeview Play devices sold in the UK has now surpassed five million. Freeview Play was launched in 2015 to provide viewers of the UK’s favourite TV platform with access to live, catch up and on-demand programming.
News categories: Digital UK, Freeview, Jonathan Thompson, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Terrestrial, UK
Freeview UK mobile app launching in January 2019
Nov 28, 2018 – Freeview UK has announced 22nd January 2019 as the launch date of its new iOS mobile app. The app provides viewers with a one-stop-shop for the country’s most watched TV shows. An Android version will launch in early 2019.
News categories: Freeview UK, Jonathan Thompson, Apps, Digital TV, Streaming, UK
Freeview only major UK broadcast platform growing its viewer base
Jun 28, 2018 – Freeview is the only major UK broadcast platform which is growing its viewer base, according to Digital UK’s annual update. The report highlights progress in Digital UK’s role leading development of Freeview which remains the UK’s most widely watched television service.
News categories: Digital UK, Freeview, Jonathan Thompson, Cable TV, Digital TV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial, UK
UK's Freeview Play platform to receive £125 million investment
Jun 11, 2018 – The UK’s top broadcast companies have signed an agreement to accelerate Freeview’s transition to a fully hybrid platform. The collaboration will see an investment of £125 million to build on the success of Freeview Play, the UK market leader in free-to-view connected TV.
News categories: Digital UK, Jonathan Thompson, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
Four TV partners join Freeview Play platform
Nov 22, 2016 – Freeview has announced that Freeview Play, the subscription-free catch-up and on-demand TV service will launch on Blaupunkt, Hisense, Sharp AQUOS, and Toshiba devices in the coming months. Freeview Play is the most widely adopted service for catch-up TV in the UK.
News categories: Freeview Play, Digital UK, Hisense, Guy North, Jonathan Thompson, Howard Grindrod, Digital TV, Middleware, Smart TV, UK
- Synamedia delivers low latency World Cup streaming for Cellcom
- NEXTGEN TV broadcasting begins in Boston
- SkyShowtime announces line-up ahead of launches in Central & Eastern Europe
- Global online video subscriptions to reach 1.7bn in 2023
- BARB launches API giving clients direct access to viewing data
- Roku makes deal with Warner Bros. Discovery for The Roku Channel
- Trinidad and Tobago selects ATSC 3.0 for DTT
- Faurecia-Aptoide and Catappult launch app distribution hub for cars
- 24i supports launch of Philips Hue Sync TV App
- J:COM deploys Qwilt Open Caching solution
- Breezeline Stream TV comes to Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio
- Sale of Millicom to Apollo Global Management and Claure Group in discussion
- Comcast cable video subscribers down 2.034 million in 2022
- Disney strikes streaming measurement deal with EDO
- ITV increases investment in InfoSum
- German study shows high losses from TV piracy
- European Audiovisual Observatory publishes report on media ownership in Europe
- NBA games to be available in VR through Meta Horizon Worlds
- Simply.TV signs metadata deal with YouSee
- Verizon FIOS consumer video subscribers down 80,000 in 4Q 2022