Digital TV News: NPD Group
U.S. streaming video consumers becoming more price sensitive
Jun 23, 2022 – According to The NPD Group, from October 2021 to April 2022, cost went from the #4 reason for cancelling an SVOD service to #2. According to NPD's latest study, consumers are also increasingly signing up for services based on promotional or discounted offers.
News categories: NPD Group, John Buffone, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
U.S. TV purchasers more motivated by screen size and picture quality
Apr 26, 2022 – According to NPD, over the last two years the average size of installed TVs in the U.S. has increased by three inches to 47.5". Consumers are also replacing TVs faster than before. The average age of a replaced TV is now 6.4 years, down from 6.8 years in 2020.
News categories: NPD, John Buffone, Paul Gagnon, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, USA
US consumer technology sales revenue ends 2021 up 9%
Jan 6, 2022 – According to NPD, 2021 was a record year for the U.S. consumer tech industry with sales reaching nearly $127 billion dollars, up 9% on 2020's tremendous result. Revenues are expected to decline 5% in 2022, 4% in 2023, and 1% in 2024.
News categories: NPD Group, Stephen Baker, Ben Arnold, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
Roku TV expands with Sharp in the US & new brands in Mexico
Jan 3, 2022 – Roku (Nasdaq: ROKU) has partnered with Sharp to bring Sharp Roku TV models to the United States. In addition, the Roku TV licensing program in Mexico will expand with the addition of Aiwa and HKPRO starting in early 2022.
News categories: Roku, Sharp, Mustafa Ozgen, Jim Sanduski, Digital TV, Mexico, Middleware, Smart TV, USA
Roku launches OneView ad platform for Canada
Sep 23, 2021 – Roku (Nasdaq: ROKU) has expanded its Canadian TV advertising offering with the introduction of the OneView advertising platform. OneView enables ad campaigns across TV streaming, desktop, and mobile.
News categories: Roku, Matterkind, Christina Summers, Erin Rahn, Advertising, Canada, Digital TV, Streaming
Record-breaking U.S. movie and TV viewership continued in 1H 2021
Sep 14, 2021 – According to The NPD Group, reported time spent watching TV shows and movies in the U.S., in the first half of 2021, rose 4% over last year, as screen-entertainment spending declined by 1%.
News categories: NPD Group, John Buffone, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
FandangoNOW merged into Vudu
Aug 3, 2021 – Fandango is uniting its TV streaming services, Vudu and FandangoNOW. The new Vudu service will offer more than 200,000 new release and catalog movies and TV shows. Vudu replaces FandangoNOW on Roku in the U.S.
News categories: Fandango, Roku, Paul Yanover, Tedd Cittadine, Digital TV, Streaming, USA
HBO Max app now available on LG Smart TVs in the U.S.
Aug 3, 2021 – LG Electronics USA and WarnerMedia have announced that the HBO Max app is now available on LG Smart TVs in the U.S. LG Smart TV owners can now access HBO Max as part of the TV's webOS platform.
News categories: LG Electronics, WarnerMedia, HBO Max, Apps, Digital TV, Smart TV, Streaming, USA
One billion devices able to deliver content to a screen in US homes
Apr 26, 2021 – According to NPD's 'Device Ownership Trends & Profile Report', by February 2021, U.S. households had over one billion devices installed, connected, and able to deliver digital content to a screen.
News categories: NPD, John Buffone, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Smartphone, Tablet, USA
- Major U.S. pay TV providers lost ~1,925,000 subscribers in 2Q 2022
- Pay TV revenues in Australia to continue to decline
- Samba TV enters Spanish market via partnership with Smartclip
- Ad-supported Disney+ tier to launch in the U.S. on December 8th
- Foxxum launches RDK-based OS for Connected TVs
- Gracenote enables optimized program metadata distribution
- VIZIO Account simplifies subscriptions for its Smart TV customers
- Discovery+ launching on Sling TV and Dish TV
- FAST Channels TV provides linear channels for Digital TV Cyprus OTT platform
- Video streaming services lost further playtime per user in H1 2022
- BARB releases Establishment Survey data for the UK for Q2 2022
- Simulmedia and TiVo renew data-licensing partnership
- Paramount+ joins Roku Channel’s Premium Subscriptions lineup
- Altice USA residential video RGUs down 85,000 in 2Q 2022
- DISH Network pay TV subscribers down 257,000 in 2Q 2022
- Over six million Android TV OS deployments for iWedia
- RTL Deutschland and Seven.One Entertainment to create addressable TV JV
- Charter residential video customers down 240,000 in 2Q 2022
- Access Advance adds further patent owners
- Disney+ app integrated on Foxtel set top boxes