Hong Kong (HK) Digital TV News
Hong Kong to begin analogue TV switch off on November 30, 2020
Feb 11, 2019 – According to Hong Kong's Secretary of Commerce and Economic Development, formal switching off of analogue TV services will begin on November 30, 2020, meaning that Hong Kong will enter into an era of full digital TV broadcasting from December 1, 2020.
News categories: Commerce and Economic Development Bureau, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Hong Kong, Terrestrial
Casbaa releases updated pay TV and OTT Regulatory Review for Asia
Jul 19, 2018 – Casbaa has released a review of OTT and regulatory policies for the video industry around Asia. Based on a year-long study of legal frameworks and government policies, Casbaa has examined key issues in regulation of the pay TV and online video industry.
News categories: Casbaa, Louis Boswell, John Medeiros, Australia, Cambodia, China, Content Protection, Digital TV, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, UK, USA, Vietnam
Brightcove releases research on OTT TV adoption in Asia
Jun 27, 2018 – Brightcove (NASDAQ: BCOV) has announced findings from a study carried out in partnership with YouGov that polled 5,000 participants across Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Singapore, and Thailand. The purpose was to discover how consumers are responding to OTT TV services.
News categories: Brightcove, YouGov, Ben Morrell, Asia, Digital TV, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Market Research, OTT, Singapore, Thailand
PCCW Media delivers live UHD HDR football coverage with Harmonic
Jun 25, 2018 – Harmonic (NASDAQ: HLIT) has announced that PCCW Media's Now TV pay TV service in Hong Kong is delivering 4K live coverage of world-class sports events using an UHD HDR solution from Harmonic.
News categories: Harmonic, PCCW, Tony Berthaud, Kevin Chu, ConnecTechAsia, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Hong Kong, IPTV
Nearly one in four Hong Kong consumers use pirated TV boxes
Jun 25, 2018 – In a newly released Casbaa survey of the content viewing behaviour of Hong Kong consumers, it was revealed that close to one in four consumers (24%) use a TV box which can be used to stream pirated television and video content.
News categories: Casbaa, Neil Gane, Louis Boswell, Content Protection, Digital TV, Hong Kong, OTT
Asian pay TV subscribers with 4K STBs reached 53.6 million in 2017
Mar 30, 2018 – According to Dataxis, the number of Pay TV subscribers in Asia owning a 4K set top box reached 53.6 million at the end of 2017. So far, more than 30 Pay TV operators have launched 4K set-top-boxes in Asia.
News categories: Dataxis, Australia, China, Digital TV, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Market Research, New Zealand, Set Top Box, Taiwan
Nielsen Marketing Cloud launches in APAC
Nov 29, 2017 – Nielsen (NYSE: NLSN) has launched its Nielsen Marketing Cloud in APAC empowering its clients to improve their advertising and content marketing effectiveness with a combination of audience data, technology and sales measurement.
News categories: Nielsen, TVB, Damian Garbaccio, S.K. Cheong, Advertising, Asia, Big Data, Hong Kong
Hong Kong's MyTV Super extends Verimatrix deployment to its OTT service
Sep 14, 2017 – Verimatrix has announced that MyTV Super has extended its deployment of the Verimatrix Video Content Authority System (VCAS) for Internet TV to provide over-the-top (OTT) video security for its myTV SUPER video service launched in 2016.
News categories: Verimatrix, MyTV Super, Steve Oetegenn, Rex Ching, Content Protection, Digital TV, Hong Kong, IBC, Mobile, OTT, Set Top Box
Viu hits 6 million active users, 50% growth in 4 months
Apr 25, 2017 – Viu has announced that it hit 6 million monthly active users (MAU) across its markets in March this year, up 50% on November 2016. Viu is now available in Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, India, Indonesia, the Philippines, Oman, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Jordan, Kuwait, Egypt and Bahrain.
News categories: PCCW Media, Janice Lee, Bahrain, Digital TV, Egypt, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Jordan, Kuwait, Malaysia, Oman, OTT, Philippines, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Subscribers, UAE
- Afghanistan Broadcasting System selects EUTELSAT 53A as its DTH platform
- StarHub pay TV households down 49,000 in 2018
- Encoding.com selected by Akamai as preferred partner for VOD transcoding
- U.S. smart speaker sales will exceed 64 million in 2022
- Brightcove to acquire Ooyala’s online video platform business
- DISH TV down ~380k; Sling TV up ~50k subs in 4Q 2018
- TVSquared partners with TiVo for deterministic attribution
- Telenet designs new YUGO bundle entirely around the smartphone
- FreeWheel chooses Nielsen to power audience-based multiscreen TV advertising
- GTPL Hathway adds 170,000 CATV digital subscribers in 4Q 2018
- Tastemade expands linear OTT footprint with Amagi
- FreeWheel Council for Premium Video Europe releases paper on programmatic technology
- Ethiopian broadcasters take video capacity on EUTELSAT 8 West B
- Survey finds one in four Malaysian consumers use pirate TV boxes
- Digital Voice Assistants in use to triple to 8 billion by 2023
- Amazon to acquire mesh WiFi company, eero
- LiveRamp expands identity solution to include connected TV
- CuriosityStream raises $140M in private placement
- Hong Kong to begin analogue TV switch off on November 30, 2020
- China's online video subscribers to surpass 300 million in 2019