Hong Kong (HK) Digital TV News
Pay-TV penetration in APAC set to decline marginally through 2023
Jul 29, 2019 – Cord-cutting in developed APAC is set to offset gains in DTH and IPTV in emerging APAC (South and Southeast Asia) and as a result, the overall region is forecast to witness a marginal decline in pay-TV household penetration from 67.4% in 2018 to 67.0% by the end of 2023, according to GlobalData.
News categories: GlobalData, Malcolm Rogers, Australia, China, Digital TV, Hong Kong, India, Korea, Philippines, Subscribers, Thailand
TVB deploys Harmonic content-aware encoding on Hong Kong OTT platform
Jun 14, 2019 – Harmonic (NASDAQ: HLIT) has announced that Television Broadcast Limited (TVB) has deployed Harmonic's EyeQ content-aware encoding for its myTV SUPER OTT platform in Hong Kong. EyeQ encoding optimizes bandwidth for OTT services.
News categories: Harmonic, TVB, Tony Berthaud, ConnecTechAsia, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Hong Kong, OTT
Datacom signed-up as Viaccess-Orca system integrator in APAC
Jun 11, 2019 – Viaccess-Orca (VO) has announced that Datacom is the first company to sign-up to VO's system integration partnership program. Datacom will play a role in bringing VO's content protection and TV platform solutions to Asia-Pacific countries.
News categories: Viaccess-Orca, Datacom, Pierre-Alexandre Bidard, Bo Guan, Australia, China, ConnecTechAsia, Content Distribution, Content Protection, Hong Kong, Macau, Malaysia, Mongolia, Pakistan, Philippines, Vietnam
Nielsen launches global measurement for YouTube mobile app
Jun 3, 2019 – Nielsen has announced that it has expanded advertising measurement on YouTube’s mobile app to 26 additional markets. Now available in 34 markets, the service provides cross-device measurement of advertising audiences across computer and mobile devices.
News categories: Nielsen, Amanda Tarpey, Advertising, Belgium, Big Data, Brazil, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, OTT, Philippines, Poland, Puerto Rico, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, UAE
PCCW Media selects Harmonic media processing SaaS
Apr 7, 2019 – Harmonic (NASDAQ: HLIT) has announced that PCCW Media is using Harmonic's VOS Cluster SaaS for its Now TV, now Player and Now E services. VOS Cluster cloud-native media processing speeds up time to market for new services.
News categories: Harmonic, PCCW, Tony Berthaud, Belinda Chan, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Hong Kong, IPTV, NABShow, OTT
YouGov research for Edgeware finds clear demand for tailored TV content
Apr 4, 2019 – Online research from Edgeware and YouGov has found that 89% of adults across the UK, USA, Hong Kong, Mexico and Spain would be interested in content that is aimed at their personal interests when watching traditional TV channels.
News categories: Edgeware, YouGov, Johan Bolin, Digital TV, Hong Kong, Market Research, Mexico, NABShow, Spain, UK, USA
Hong Kong to begin analogue TV switch off on November 30, 2020
Feb 11, 2019 – According to Hong Kong's Secretary of Commerce and Economic Development, formal switching off of analogue TV services will begin on November 30, 2020, meaning that Hong Kong will enter into an era of full digital TV broadcasting from December 1, 2020.
News categories: Commerce and Economic Development Bureau, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Hong Kong, Terrestrial
Casbaa releases updated pay TV and OTT Regulatory Review for Asia
Jul 19, 2018 – Casbaa has released a review of OTT and regulatory policies for the video industry around Asia. Based on a year-long study of legal frameworks and government policies, Casbaa has examined key issues in regulation of the pay TV and online video industry.
News categories: Casbaa, Louis Boswell, John Medeiros, Australia, Cambodia, China, Content Protection, Digital TV, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, UK, USA, Vietnam
Brightcove releases research on OTT TV adoption in Asia
Jun 27, 2018 – Brightcove (NASDAQ: BCOV) has announced findings from a study carried out in partnership with YouGov that polled 5,000 participants across Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Singapore, and Thailand. The purpose was to discover how consumers are responding to OTT TV services.
News categories: Brightcove, YouGov, Ben Morrell, Asia, Digital TV, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Market Research, OTT, Singapore, Thailand
- AR/VR IC market to grow to $7.75bn by 2026 at 23.3% CAGR
- 24i powers streaming video experience for Topic
- Roku launches The Roku Channel in the UK
- Verimatrix integrates server-side watermarking with Akamai
- HbbTV releases HbbTV Conformance Test Suite v2020-1
- NZ: Netflix, Lightbox and Prime Video double viewership in 2019
- 10 million more digital pay TV subscribers for Eastern Europe by 2025
- BritBox app launches on LG Smart TVs
- Contentos integrates Theta Network decentralized video delivery for COS.tv
- SeaChange selected by Midco to monetize video streaming service
- Apptopia and Braze release state of streaming industry report
- Edge Networks announces 'Evoca' ATSC 3.0 pay TV service
- Allegro DVT releases AL-D21x video decoder IP family with AV1 support
- Nielsen and Sinclair Broadcast announce multi-year renewal
- Verimatrix introduces DRM for video protection between devices
- Deltatre unveils SaaS platform for real-time, data-driven UX decisions
- Omdia cuts 2020 TV shipment forecast by 10 percentage points
- Comscore research shows continuing surge in U.S. daytime TV viewing
- FCC proposed rule change to support ATSC 3.0 distributed transmission
- VideoAmp creates combined Smart TV and STB viewing dataset for the U.S.